Genius Bar advice, Replaced Hard Drive -- PLEASE help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spyguy10709, Apr 28, 2013.

1. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Hey All,

I have a Macbook Pro 13", with Apple Care. It's a mid 2010 model.

I've been having problems with the machine - the display has light blotches, and the trackpad cracked when I was USING it... (not abnormal usage or anything, I'd admit it here!)

The thing is - I've had the display replaced before because of the blotches, and I've had other repair on the machine.

I've replaced the hard drive with a SSD. I've backed it up - but I don't want to have to open the machine to put the spinning disk back in.

I have a feeling that they're just going to replace my machine - there's a LOT wrong with it... (Aside from the display and trackpad, my battery has 900 cycles and my DVD drive is flakey)

If they give me a new machine, will they take out my SSD from my old machine and put it in the new one?

Can I bring up getting a replacement if they don't suggest it?

Any advice here would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dave

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

you should put the original HDD in before you bring it for repair. Apple is not responsible for upgrades or for your data.

3. spyguy10709 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

But I don't want to open the machine up again. It's a user-accessable part... so what about that?

4. troy14 macrumors 6502a

It's like 10 screws to put it back in. Just do it. It's user-accessible so that means the user is responsible.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Put the original drive back in. Apple is not responsible for the data and as part of the diagnostics they may decide that drive needs to be wiped.

And if they decide to replace the system, it's better to have a drive you don't care about in it.

6. spyguy10709 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Thanks for your advice. I put the original drive back in, and backed it up just in case.

Thanks again!