Genius Bar and my iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by itzbobbeh, Feb 26, 2011.

1. itzbobbeh macrumors newbie

currently, my iphone is:
    t-mobile (unlocked)
    jailbroken
    as well as.. well, broken (the sleep button just stopped working)

i bought it from someone who originally owned it with AT&T (he gave me a receipt with his address and phone number and such) and the warranty is still here for a couple more months (checked on the apple site)

i scheduled for an appointment (for replacement) on monday, so i just want to make some precautions:

note: i WILL be wiping my iphone of everything and reverting it back to the "Connect to iTunes" screen as well as popping out my t-mobile simcard

at any point in the appointment, will i have to confirm any information about the phone besides the problem? i know the dude/dudette will hook it up to the computer to check **** out (no problem with that) and fidget around with it and all..

i don't have anything to be afraid of other than the fact that they might **** me over because i don't know **** about the previous owner..

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Don't worry they will just help you with the phone. They aren't going to give you the the 5th degree or nothing. They don't care what you've done to the phone as long as you don't have it JB'd or unlocked when you give it to them.

4. itzbobbeh thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone else? thoughts?

oh and if i get a refurbished iphone 4, what are the chances that i'll be able to jailbreak and unlock it?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will be able to JB but not unlock it.
    Only if it comes with firmware version 4.0.2 or below you will be able to unlock.
    But that's not going to happen. You will get one with 4.1 or 4.2.1 most likely.

6. itzbobbeh, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

itzbobbeh thread starter macrumors newbie

the up-and-coming ultrasnow should be able to unlock my future (refurbished) iphone, right?

EDIT: could i technically use the mail-in-repair service so i can still keep the same phone (and get it repaired by them)?
    but that may run the risk of them automatically updating the software (and probably the baseband with it)

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What is wrong with your phone anyway? Do you have to send it in?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, the next unlock could potentially unlock the newest baseband iphone.
    And no you wont be able to get the same phone repaired and send back and even if you could they'd restore it to the latest firmware.
    So that's out of the question.

9. itzbobbeh thread starter macrumors newbie

i didn't want to create a new thread for this stuff so:
    i read that the newest unlock won't be out for months..

and there is a chance that i would accidentally run my iphone until it's dead, and i wouldn't be able to turn it back on because the sleep button is broken..
    (as of right now i have Activator gestures to simulate the sleep button)

is there anything i can do to ensure an unlock for my replacement phone? because it's depressing to carry around such a crippled phone like this lol

i have 01.59.00 right now (for my baseband), does anyone have any idea what baseband range the replacement phone would be?
    i'd doubt the replacement phone would be 4.3 because it just recently came out and all..