Genius Bar - Apple Care not being ATT customer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arram, Jun 26, 2009.

1. arram macrumors member

I have a iPhone 3G that the warranty expires on september. Does any 1 know the procedure of questions they ask before they replace the phone? I am not with AT&T and I bought the phone from a friend who no longer is with AT&T either. Are there any successful stories of people getting them to replace the phone without being a AT&T customer? Thanks alot

2. arram thread starter macrumors member

3. kage207 macrumors 6502a

If jailbroken you have voided the year warranty, that is if they find out.

4. arram thread starter macrumors member

Well I will be doing a complete fresh restore. I am just worried what to tell them because I am a tmobile customer. Should I say I got the phone for a good deal and just using it as a Ipod Touch?

5. chox99 macrumors regular

They will NOT let you leave the store until your phone is activated with ATT. Your best bet is to get a pre-paid ATT sim.

6. aarcarr macrumors member

Yes you can leave the store without it being activated. I did it last week when I had mine exchanged.

Also, what is wrong with your phone? My phone had graphic issues but I had done a restore a few days earlier to try and fix it and they couldn't find any error logs. Since I had a case number already, I walked out with a refurb.

7. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Haha, you're funny :p I would love to see them not let me leave the store with my phone.

8. arram thread starter macrumors member

LOL. So my only hope to get a new phone is get my friend with att put his sim in my phone and make him take it? What if he is with blackberry, does it activate the iphone plan on his account?

9. chox99 macrumors regular

Well, I left my sim(in 2G) in my car and I had to get it since they said it's a policy. I walked 10min under blazing sun just to get my sim. :mad: Looks like it's different store by store.

10. chox99 macrumors regular

Nope, it doesn't activate the plan. just the phone.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You should have asked to speak to a manager.

12. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Did you get jumped by a gang of nomad hoodlums also? I love the dramatic "blazing sun", classic.

Anyway, it is a policy so bank on needing to activate in store.

13. doubletap macrumors regular

It might be policy but I fail to see how they can legally prevent you from taking your iphone and leaving the store. Do they hold it hostage? Sounds like lawsuit time.

dt

14. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

As long as you were already an iPhone owner, they can't force you to activate in store. You technically should already be paying an AT&T contract, so there is no need to force people to activate with AT&T.

15. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Issue at hand is not whether or not your phone is activated, but rather if the phone was ever jailbroken, which voids the warranty.

So if your phone is obviously not activated, how could you explain to the genius what's wrong with your phone to warrant a replacement? You can't get a replacement simply because you want one and you're under warranty.

Get your story straight if you expect them to do anything for you.

16. arram thread starter macrumors member

When you do a full restore there is no way of them knowing if its jailbroken. Many people have done this and gotten a replacement

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

That's not the point. The point is after full restore, you can't use your phone because you don't have AT&T and the phone is not unlocked. So how do you walk in the Apple store with an unactivated phone and say something is wrong with it?

If I have to spell it out, I don't think this is going anywhere.

18. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Bingo, thats the main point.

19. chox99 macrumors regular

I think this will work.
    Restore>put your friends ATT sim and activate(don't worry nothing will happend to his account)>go to the store>get exchanged and enjoy.

20. arram thread starter macrumors member

I dont think you know how to read. I told you I am going to put my friends sim card in. It doesnt need to be activated for the phone to work. Next time read before trying to bash someone

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Uphill both ways? :rolleyes:

22. chox99 macrumors regular

It was 103 that day..I'm afraid of the sun.:D

23. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Yes, because attacking someone with "I don't think you know how to read" will really get you some help here. What is it that you want? Approval? Morality check? You have a jailbroken device. You restored it. No more jailbreak. You have a sim. Ok.

You know, instead of coming here for some sort advice on the situation, you already have the answers. To further start insulting forum members doesn't make much sense. :confused:

If you need answers, call an Apple store other than the one you want to visit. Maybe one you have never gone to, but one that is in your state. Dont give any personal information, and ask them for their policy. I'm sure they will answer your questions on how they conduct business in this situation.

Then go from there accordingly.

24. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wow...10 minute walk, that must have taken a lot out of you.

25. chox99 macrumors regular

Damn, I'm grilled from my reply on this thread. I love Macrumors.:p