Genius Bar Appointment and third party parts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sanctified89, Jul 28, 2013.

1. sanctified89 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so I've been fairly happy with my 2012 cMBP that I bought from Apple's refurb site. However, I've begun to notice that I can "push in" the bottom part of the screen (right by the Macbook Pro logo) and dust is getting behind the glass. Upon closer inspection, it seems that the right side of the panel seems depressed near the hinge in comparison to the left side. Also noticed that my trackpad has been wonky. I have limited applecare until this Sept. so I figure I should bring it in.

Only issue is that I have a SSD and 8GB of ram installed inside the machine. I know everyone says to take out any third party parts before you bring it into Apple but I don't exactly have the original ram laying around and I'm using the original 500gb drive as an external backup. Should I chance it and bring in the computer as is, or remove the SSD/upgraded RAM and simply bring the computer as is?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Neither RAM nor SSD are not related in anyway to your issues. You should be OK if you didn't damage the computer yourself with these upgrades. RAM is considered user upgradable and I believe HDD as well. I had my first MBP repaired under apple care with 3rd party RAM installed no problem.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm not sure this really answers you question, but I just took my MBP into the Apple Store and I have 2 8GB Crucial (third party) RAM chips in place, and nobody said anything to me about it. In fact, while chatting with the tech, I mentioned the chips and he never said anything either.

4. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

usually they do not say anything, unless there has been physical damage to the insides. I've given one of my macbook white unibody for service with a third party hard drive, they did not say a thing. Many feel its better to put in the stock stuff back in but the apple guys told me they get to know if things have been changed via crash logs and other logs. If its just ram and hard rive they do not say anything, infact after diagnosing the apple parts they doubt your hard drive is at fault or ram they would request you to get it check from the vendor you got it from.

5. sanctified89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll just take it in then!

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Changing user serviceable parts is fine. However it is still recommended to put back the original equipment, since Apple does not assume responsibility for the third party parts.

Usually the techs are competent and honest, but if for some reason your SSD vanishes and is replaced with an original part, that's your problem.