Genius Bar appointment question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by spoa94, Jun 8, 2015.

1. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I seem to have bricked my AW when updating to watchOS 2. I have the red exclamation point/mark. Do you think that because I was installing pre-release software they will not help me? I used to be a registered dev but not anymore. I just had my UDID registered by someone else.

Who on here has gone in for service with the red exclamation point? What was the outcome. My appointment is tomorrow.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm gonna go out on a limb and venture a wacky guess that you would be the first Genius Bar appointment for a watch bricked by watchOS 2.0.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You'll get away with it this early in the game.

4. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Yeah I assumed I'd get away with it. I would lie and say I was upgrading to 1.01 when it happened but the Apple logo is different for 2.0 firmware so you can notice the difference pretty easily... Assuming the genius's pay that much attention to the detail

5. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Your gonna lie because of your screw up? That's classy. I know because everyone goes to a preview dev site to update their watch. I hope they laugh and turn you away.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Apart from the logo there is no way for them to check anything at the moment so I really would worry about it.

7. J.C macrumors 6502

The Genius Bar doesn't ask for proof that you have a developer account and you have no obligation to provide it. Just explain what happened and ask for help.

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Just tell them you help your developer friend test apps and was upgrading for that reason. They will probably be able to tell you were trying to update to watch OS 2 anyway. If you are gonna fib at least make it more truthful.

9. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I'm totally kidding. I am gonna tell the truth.

10. Mr Retina macrumors regular

Mr Retina

They will help you, no problem. Just know that "bricked" watches or watches that require a restore are sent out to local depot centers for repair. There currently is no in house software restores at any location WW...

11. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I figured that. I'm hoping they will give me the option to just take a refurb

12. Speechless macrumors 6502

this completely scared the hell out of me and..yeah, i'll wait for the release.

13. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I had the red exclamation point thing show up on my watch for a few seconds, and then it disappeared. I'm not even a developer NOR did I try to download anything, let alone Apple Watch OS 2. What does that thing mean ? It disappeared after about 30 seconds and my watch has been working fine.

14. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

It means it is in recovery mode. On the iPhone if it gets stuck in recovery mode you can plug into iTunes and restore. Yet with the Apple Watch there is no way for the consumer to hard-wire into the watch.

15. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I also read that it means the watch was unpaired, it was more like a red lightning bolt in a red square, which like I said, I read it means unpaired.

16. theinkedteacher macrumors newbie

theinkedteacher

What's the outcome? Same problem, but my appointment is on Saturday...

17. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

The appointment is at 7 PM CST. I will post my experience in this thread when I am back home.

18. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

The geniuses are talking about it now but most likely they will be sending it out for repairs. Bummer is they say there are zero refurb watches in stock to give me a replacement.

19. theinkedteacher macrumors newbie

theinkedteacher

I have to travel 70 miles to get to my nearest Apple Store... I feel like it's going to be a trip for nothing...

20. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Why not ship it in then? They send it for repair or you send it for repair. Saves driving 70 miles.

21. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

@theinkedteacher - you may as well just call Apple. It will just be a matter of time before the stores and Apple CS standardize on what their policy is going to be for these (if they haven't already).

22. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

You should ship it yourself. Stay away from the Apple Store if it is that far for you.

23. bushido Suspended

bushido

withholding information they arent asking for =/ lie

24. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

lol yeah! The genius did not ask me what I was upgrading to. I offered up the info that I was going to 2.0 and she just said "Oh okay thanks" and didn't even seem to care