genius bar appointment really needed?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iOrlando, Jul 2, 2009.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i know they take appointments for the genius bar..but is it really needed...can i just show up and wait a little bit to talk to someone?

i just had a question about a shuffle...and i dont want to be pinned down to a specific time.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

To guarantee you'll be able to talk to someone, yes, you should get an appointment. The two Apple Stores in Orlando are usually mobbed (particularly since June 19). At least, when you show up at the store, check in with the concierge person/computer to set up a slot to talk to a genius.

3. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

In and around London you have to book and often in advance to get a slot.

I once ask a question to a sales guy and was told to ask a genius, the genius refused to talk to me without an appointment, the next appointment was in 3 days time. So he just stood there and did nothing for the next 15 minutes:rolleyes:

Quality Service.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Yes, book an appointment. That way you walk in and (in most cases) they are ready to help you.

5. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

In Glasgow, Scotland, you will definitely need an appointment.

6. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

honestly...it depends on what time u need an appointment, what day, and what location.

sometimes i've been able to walk into an apple store in the early morning and get an appointment immediately. weekends usually tend to be a lot busier, so chances are you can't just get a walkin appointment.

and if you're in nyc like i am, you pretty much have no choice but to get an appointment. when you go and book an appointment at the 5th Ave or SoHo apple stores, the soonest appointment is usually two days away.

7. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I have found that due to the chaotic nature (both perceived and real) it is best to have an appointment, particular with something small (as being there and waiting for something to open up with a small issue can be really frustrating).

8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yes. Here in Palo Alto, where Steve Jobs himself lives :)D), usually everything's booked up. However, from your location, you're in France? I haven't been to an Apple Store there, but if the nearest one is a bit far from where you live, it's a good idea to make sure you don't end up wasting your time.
    You don't say! I've waited hours near a Genuis Bar, waiting for somebody to help me. They were just too busy. :eek:

One last trick you can use, is to go online and go about booking an appointment. However, once you see the time slots available, you can get a feel for how crowded the store will be. The most accurate way is to check on the current day, so everybody that should've booked, booked already. You can get a slight feel for how many people go to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store that way.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would also recommend an appointment. My local store is usually quite busy.

10. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

One of the people on the floor may be able to help you. Sounds like the shuffle works, you just want to know some info? Also, the support
    tab at apple.com has a lot of answers. Support forums too. You don't need a genius just to ask a few questions.

11. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks for the replies

heres my situation

was running with the shuffle...and it just died...figured it was battery.

so i charged it up and now it doesnt work. nothing turns on when not connected to mac.

so anyone have suggestions as to what to say to make likely hood of replacement higher? (i got it 5 months ago refurbished)

12. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Complain that it was hard to get there or something.

Anyway, as pointed out, an appointment is considerably a must.

13. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I'd book an appt if i were you- my mate had an iphone 3g which had a crack down the back. They were going to replace it for him, but because he didn't book an actual appt, they wouldnt! petty I know, but better to be safe than sorry and book one