genius bar appointment: restore iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by whyrichard, Jun 17, 2010.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I have a genius bar appointment... have some dust under the screen...

...should i restore my iphone to pre-spirit jailbreak settings?

thanks,

r.

2. jersey macrumors regular

Absolutely.

Most geniuses I've encountered dont seem to care about the jailbreak if it is unrelated to the problem you're having - i.e. the dust under your screen. But, if you get one that does, they could refuse to warranty the phone and note it in their systems with the phones serial. That could prevent you from getting any service in the future.

It's better to spend the hour, than to refused warranty now or in the future.

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Between all of the iDevices I've had over the years, I've probably been at the Genius Bar for an exchange ten times in the past three years. I've never once bothered restoring prior to my visit.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

hmmmm...

...so maybe keep it jailbroken and save myself a bunch of time....?

...if i were to restore it, how do i later get my bought cydia apps on it?

thanks,
    r.

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Not worth the risk. If the genius wants, he/she can disable your warranty if they feel necessary. Just restore before going in. I've brought my iPhone 3G into the Apple Store unlocked and jailbroken, the genius just laughed a bit. Your experience could differ.

6. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

restore, probably depends on the genius handling your iphone, but i restored my 3g, and the guy next to me had his jailbroken, his wasnt accepted because it violated some warranty rule, i overheard, he didnt know what was wrong with mine (randomly crashing) but he replaced it regardless, he gave me a laugh because i demanded another unit, havent had a problem ever since haha