Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
In a house w 3 iPhones we have a collection of lightning cables ... We currently have 3 that are coming apart on the connector end.

This will be replaced under AppleCare as I have done it before. I go to make a Genius Bar appointment today and it's a 5 hour lead time under iPhone.

I get curious and click on Mac appointments and there is availablity now. My question ... Would it be shady to book the appointment under Mac (I currently have 3 under warranty also) to replace my cables for my iPhone?

The cables plug into my Macs after all ... Feedback ASAP would be appreciated as I am about to make the appointment. Thanks!

TwistedPain

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Blue Springs, MO
I would say that's inappropriate as you would now be taking a slot away from a user with an actual Mac problem vs a problem with an iphone cable. Since the cable is warrantied under your iphone I would schedule that for an iphone slot.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
The Mac appointments seem wide open looking at availibity. Not justifying just stating a fact ...

Wondering if lighting cables could be considered Mac accessory also it your opinion.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
they're definitely not mac accessories. Plus by doing that, you end up leaving a slight foul taste in that genius' mind.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't see any rules against that, but not something I'd personally do.

Of course, I've never had an issue at my Apple store (Arrowhead Towne Center, Phoenix, AZ). In fact, whenever I have booked an appointment for a Mac issue I've always had to wait a while. But, iPhone/iPod issues I've never had problems.

I was just there yesterday, showed up 15 minutes early to do the same thing you are set to do - replace a Lightning cable. I got seen in less than 5 minutes after sitting down to wait for my 2pm appointment. I'll be back at 4pm today to replace my phone (genius noticed the battery was swelling). I don't expect much of a wait.

And this is a busy Apple store.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've never seen an unbusy Apple store. :D
<chuckle> That's true! All of them are always busy, but some are more busy than others with specific types of things.

For instance, my Apple store does a brisk business with iPhones, but I rarely see anyone there with iPod issue and by far (every time I go there) the biggest thing they deal with is Macs. Someone is always waiting for help with a Mac at that store.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
<chuckle> That's true! All of them are always busy, but some are more busy than others with specific types of things.

For instance, my Apple store does a brisk business with iPhones, but I rarely see anyone there with iPod issue and by far (every time I go there) the biggest thing they deal with is Macs. Someone is always waiting for help with a Mac at that store.

The Tysons Corner mall in Virginia has both a Microsoft store and an Apple store. I walked past them both one morning - what a contrast. The MS store had employees standing around, but the Apple store was so crowded I started getting claustrophobic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.