Genius Bar appointment - shady???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JodyK, Aug 24, 2014.

1. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

In a house w 3 iPhones we have a collection of lightning cables ... We currently have 3 that are coming apart on the connector end.

This will be replaced under AppleCare as I have done it before. I go to make a Genius Bar appointment today and it's a 5 hour lead time under iPhone.

I get curious and click on Mac appointments and there is availablity now. My question ... Would it be shady to book the appointment under Mac (I currently have 3 under warranty also) to replace my cables for my iPhone?

The cables plug into my Macs after all ... Feedback ASAP would be appreciated as I am about to make the appointment. Thanks!

2. TwistedPain macrumors member

I would say that's inappropriate as you would now be taking a slot away from a user with an actual Mac problem vs a problem with an iphone cable. Since the cable is warrantied under your iphone I would schedule that for an iphone slot.

3. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I've done this before. My local Genius Bar didn't care, but of course... YMMV

4. JodyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

JodyK

The Mac appointments seem wide open looking at availibity. Not justifying just stating a fact ...

Wondering if lighting cables could be considered Mac accessory also it your opinion.

5. saudor macrumors 6502

they're definitely not mac accessories. Plus by doing that, you end up leaving a slight foul taste in that genius' mind.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't see any rules against that, but not something I'd personally do.

Of course, I've never had an issue at my Apple store (Arrowhead Towne Center, Phoenix, AZ). In fact, whenever I have booked an appointment for a Mac issue I've always had to wait a while. But, iPhone/iPod issues I've never had problems.

I was just there yesterday, showed up 15 minutes early to do the same thing you are set to do - replace a Lightning cable. I got seen in less than 5 minutes after sitting down to wait for my 2pm appointment. I'll be back at 4pm today to replace my phone (genius noticed the battery was swelling). I don't expect much of a wait.

And this is a busy Apple store.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I've never seen an unbusy Apple store. :D

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

<chuckle> That's true! All of them are always busy, but some are more busy than others with specific types of things.

For instance, my Apple store does a brisk business with iPhones, but I rarely see anyone there with iPod issue and by far (every time I go there) the biggest thing they deal with is Macs. Someone is always waiting for help with a Mac at that store.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

The Tysons Corner mall in Virginia has both a Microsoft store and an Apple store. I walked past them both one morning - what a contrast. The MS store had employees standing around, but the Apple store was so crowded I started getting claustrophobic.