Genius Bar Boogers + Broken Part?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Apr 24, 2013.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I just opened up my Macbook Pro to clean some of the dust out, and I discovered what appeared to be two boogers stuck on my optibay caddy.

The last time the laptop had been opened up, it was at the genius bar getting the battery replaced. I highly doubt that some debris would have gotten all the way into that spot (it's not near the back vent) by itself and stuck itself to the optibay caddy.

Anybody here work in the genius bar that can confirm some genius would do this?

I also noticed that a little piece appeared to be broken just above the battery. I forgot to take a picture, but it looks like a tiny black bridge held down by two screws on either end. It is just above the battery. There is one on the left-ish side, and noe on the right-ish side. The right one seems to be broken in the middle.

Any idea what this does? It doesn't seem to hold the battery down.

The other thing was ALL the screws were loose, one to the point of jiggling before I used the screwdriver at all.

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

Sorry, but the boogers part made me lol.
    You could of thought they would at least use a tissue rather then your macbook! lol

3. maxosx macrumors 68020

Now I _have_ heard it all. :)

Sounds like something out of a bad movie, sorry it had to happen!

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No the genius wouldn't have wiped his nose on your optibay. Although you're lucky they serviced it at all with it in there ;).

The black clips hold the battery in place, and they're quite prone to breaking if overtightened - hence why they were loose. So if I were you, I'd put the screwdriver down and stop tightening everything as tight as you can before you break something else ;).

Oh, and it's perfectly possible for dust/debris to move around in there. You're tilting the laptop at all sorts of angles whilst carrying it, and the fans that spin at up to 6000rpm have the ability to flick crap around too.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

At the store I worked at, the Genius Room had multiple cameras recording everything, and it was rare that only one person would be in it.

Not saying that someone couldn't put boogers in your MBP, just that there is an element of risk doing so.

Also, depending on the workload, they'd ship notebooks out to the depot for repair. No clue about the working environment there but AFAIK they're third-party folks. The depot would do the repairs there, ship it back to the store, who would then give it back to the customer as if the repair had been completed in the store by a Genius.