Genius Bar: Do I need an appointment for this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orange42, Jun 28, 2010.

1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to the movies at 5:30 with my friend at the mall about a half hour away which also happens to have the only Apple store near me. I just want to show them my phone and see if anything can be fixed for the following few problems:

1. The camera rattle.
    2. When I make phone calls, I feel like I kinda hear a rattle when the phone rings, possibly cause the camera rattle?
    3. When I use my video camera, it quickly overheats.

I know these aren't major issues, but they are certainly worth me telling the Apple people about since it's a $300+ phone. So since I'm driving 30 minutes away, can I just walk in and ask for help or do I need some sort of appointment? I've never had to do this before.

Thanks

2. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

You usually have to make an appointment, but you can sometimes get lucky and grab the slot of someone who didn't show up.

3. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Officially, you'll need to make an appointment for this type of service. You can make on online. But in reality, it can depend on which store you go to (how busy they are, how many Geniuses they have, etc). You can try dropping in, but there is no guarantee and it is likely that you'll have to wait or turned away.

4. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Depends. Some will let you do it if its a slow day. If it'ss jam packed then they will probably make you schedule an appointment. I need my NO SIM iisue resolved like yesterday and I'm out of town. :( I think i'll see if there's an apple store out here in vegas and try to take care of it there.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Why wouldn't you make an appointment?

Like, if the store's empty you'll regret wasting those 90 seconds? It's not that big a deal. Just sign up to be safe.

6. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. I didn't realize how easy it was to make an appointment online (or even that you could). They had some available so I made one for 7:40.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ah, I didn't understand that.

I thought you were just wondering if you should. Now that you've done it, you can see how obvious it is to say 'yes!' :D

8. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. And I was only hesitant because I still think the phone is near perfect but since I'm going all the way there I might as well.

9. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Are you sure that the Rattle that you hear is not just the sleep wake button?
    I've had 2 since the first one completely froze up and would not get past the apple logo on start up. Both of the ones I have had the sleep/wake button rattled

10. actionvaughn macrumors member

actionvaughn

It wouldn't hurt to make an appointment but if you're not able to, they might take you in anyway.

The day after launch date, I went in to get my phone looked at but was stopped by an Apple employee at the door. The store was jam-packed and she was about to turn me away when I said I didn't have an appointment until I said it was for my iPhone 4. Apparently those are the magic words. :D

I should say that while I was waiting though, some people that were non-iPhone walk-ins were told the wait could be around two hours...

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually, making an appointment is likely to take less time than actually writing the OP.