Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
didn't no they was that easy to trigger :eek:

are they located in the same place as the 3GS? as i had my 3GS fixed at the end of its warranty and they didn't say anything, and i no ive got it all sweaty :p in the past.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I'm sure the genius people get frustrated customers walking up to them all day long. As long you're polite, for the most part, it'll rub off on them and they'll be more then happy to help you.

jbobe68

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
Try this one on

I went into the Apple Store at BridgeStreet. My 3GS was about to hit one year and the warranty was expiring. I wanted to purchase an Apple Care. The "Genius" looked at my phone with his little light. He then typed the SN into a computer. He then said I could still purchase the Apple Care because he had verified that in fact the iphone was under warranty and he help me register the Apple Care.

I bought the Apple Care. Registered it. Then he looked at the phone again with his little flashlight and said "It appears that your lower water sensor has been activated." I asked him what that means. He said that means your warranty is VOID.

VOID!!!!!!

He just sold me an Apple Care knowing the damn thing was WORTHLESS!!!!!!!

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Maybe your wife was talking on the phone when it was raining and a single raindrop went into the headphone jack. Sounds ridiculous, but you never know in this world. Glad it worked out for you guys though.

sunandbeach

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
iphone 4 water damaged screen

i got questions regarding the iphone 4 water damage.

i just got mine 2 weeks ago and i accidentally dipped it in a cup full of coffee (soo stupid) so i immediately turned it off. wiped off all ports and burried it in an uncooked rice. sooo make it short. the water indicator at the usb port is white but i have water marks all over the screen.

would apple store change it for me? knowing the water sensor is not even red or pink

and if i bring it to a third party repair shop for water clean up what are my chances of voiding the warranty? even for the out of warranty service thing?

Mike Macintosh

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
Washington State
I went into the Apple Store at BridgeStreet. My 3GS was about to hit one year and the warranty was expiring. I wanted to purchase an Apple Care. The "Genius" looked at my phone with his little light. He then typed the SN into a computer. He then said I could still purchase the Apple Care because he had verified that in fact the iphone was under warranty and he help me register the Apple Care.

I bought the Apple Care. Registered it. Then he looked at the phone again with his little flashlight and said "It appears that your lower water sensor has been activated." I asked him what that means. He said that means your warranty is VOID.

VOID!!!!!!

He just sold me an Apple Care knowing the damn thing was WORTHLESS!!!!!!!
OMG I hope you damanded them for a refund on the Applecare, thats just BS.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

The BBC ran a story (here) about the water sensors falsely indicating water damage. The BBC reported:

Apple told Watchdog the following:

"If an iPhone has been damaged by liquid, the service or replacement is not covered by the Apple one year limited warranty or an AppleCare Protection Plan (APP). It would be eligible for Out Of Warranty Service. Currently, if a customer takes their iPhone to an Apple Retail Store, the warranty will only be void due to liquid damage if all indicators have been triggered." [emphasis added]

So it seems the OP didn't dodge a bullet or get lucky.

EDIT: Added BBC link

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Officially, Apple will replace a device if one water sensor is tripped. If both external sensors are tripped they will not, unless you pay the fee. It is also at the discretion of the genius whether they exchange it based on the general condition of the device.

Politeness is always good.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I bet u the OP's wife actually did expose it to water and was too afraid/ashamed to tell her husband. My wife tried to do the same once, but she came clean months later. But to say that there was absolutely no way it came in contact with water when it is not even your phone (on your person 24/7) is just ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.