Genius Bar Experience

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Vulcan, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I had a pretty awesome experience with Apple today.

I went to my Apple Store this morning at the Genius Bar to talk about my MacBook, and said basically that my computer's screen wasn't aligned with the base. Not one question, looked at my receipt, and said they were going to replace it. I never knew that they'd replace it just because I'm persnickety.

I'm really impressed!

2. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

How long have you had the Macbook in question? I suppose AppleCare didn't come into play? Also, how off was the screen? And I suppose you mean when you close the Macbook, the lid edges were off from the base edges?

3. Vulcan thread starter macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Yeah, and not so much at all, just very slightly, but enough for me to notice. It was pretty new as well.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it's within the 2 weeks, they just do an exchange.

5. Vulcan thread starter macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I know it's normal policy, but it just is so amazing how they replaced it without any questions. Most computer retailers wouldn't give such a minor flaw a second thought and instruct you to go through the manufacturer who most likely would ignore it and have you send in your computer for a week to fix it. Apple really does make the process easy.

6. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Just posting my experience: well I've had my macbook for 11 months now and about 6 weeks ago the dreaded topcase cracking occurred. Because I was nowhere near an apple, I waited until I was back in London to get the issue looked at.
    I booked an appointment at the London Regents St store, and got seen to. The genius guy said it will be fixed free of charge under warranty but as anyone knows, the LDN Regents St store is always busy, so he said it could be 10-14 days before I get it back. Well I left it in and said my goodbyes as I knew I wouldn't need my macbook for anything major in that time. From when I checked in to leaving the store was ~25mins.
    Then I got home and not even 2 and a half hours later, the phone rang saying that my macbook was ready for collection from 9am tomorrow (store was closed by the time I got the call).
    I went in and collected it and was very pleased with the repair work. I only needed the topcase replaced, but the trackpad was replaced, and the keys and power button too (or they either did a very good job scrubbing at them).

All in all, very pleased with the customer service and a pleasant experience.

Good work Apple.

b.

7. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

You just described the top case. :) You get a whole new keyboard, etc. when they replace it.

If you want to see how they did it, check the repair guides at ifixit.com.

Glad to hear you had a good experience! I've met my share of good "Geniuses" at my local Apple store, too.

8. rogers106 macrumors member

The same thing happened with my topcase. I went to the Apple Store around 11AM, filled out the paperwork, etc. I went shopping for a little bit, and around noon I was on the road on the way home... and I got a phonecall. They had it fixed and it was ready for pickup.

Took them an hour after they quoted me 2-3 days.

Awesome.

9. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

the :apple:store has good service they replaced my whole system b/c i had 1 dead pixel

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

If you say so.

11. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

its true

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga