Genius bar experience?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ijen0311, Apr 28, 2010.

1. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I took my iPad in Tuesday for a Genius appointment because of wifi problems. I've had it since launch and had all the on and off issues that others have reported.

When I brought it in, they just switched it out. No questions, no diagnostic, not even hooking it up to a computer. Was this everyone else's experience if you've returned one? I got mine on launch day so it was out of the exchange period. It concerns me that this means they have no idea what is causing the problems or how many are affected...

Just wanted to see if others had a similar experience!

2. attapl macrumors newbie

The reason they did this is the iPad is still undergoing the "Early Field Failure Analysis" period. Rather than actually troubleshoot, Geniuses are instructed to swap the unit, no questions asked, for ANY complaint. Then your defective unit is mailed to their engineering team so they can analyze manufacturing issues other things that may lead to returns.

This is actually the main reason I never worry about buying an Apple product out of the first batch. I know they won't repair it, just swap it.

3. ijen0311 thread starter macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Interesting. I was expecting it to be like when I've had iPhones replaced. Thanks for the insight! :)

4. mac8867 macrumors 6502

... so, did the brand new -swapped in iPad behave better?

5. ijen0311 thread starter macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I've only used it in 2 places. At home it's fine, at the other location wifi was connected but "safari was not connected to the Internet." So the verdict is still out. I doubt i'll make any moves with this one until a software update comes out at least...