Genius Bar Hitting me with $1250 quote on MBP? HELP..:)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pamon, Dec 10, 2008.

1. pamon macrumors 6502

So I brought my MBP in today for repair. It's got white blotches on the screen and the lcd shines through them. Also having keyboard and trackpad freeze-ups and stops the machine from being used. They took it and said they'd replace the logic board along with the top case and keyboard and the display. Said 3-5 days and was good..

Got a call back from them today stating that the 3rd party memory I installed from OWC had a metal tag and that might've fried my logic board and it's 3rd party damage and not held liable and a $1250 quote to replace.

They said they'd repair the display, topcase, and keyboard under warranty but when the logic board was replaced mid 08, the same memory was installed and nothing was said then. Think i'm getting hosed by the genius bar.

Any logic board experts out there? And is $1250 a fair price? Everything repaired by Apple seems overpriced and don't know if I can get it done cheaper anywhere else or if this is a BS story by them.

Will most likely get the other stuff repaired under warranty but wow... $1250?

HELP!!... thanks..:)

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

metal tag? anything could fry the logic board including any stray metal bits, but i'd be pushing the issue a little more. ask them to show the memory and the metal tag and how it is different from other memory. maybe contact OWC and ask for their opinion, they might send a useful email you can show the manager at your genius bar.

i wouldn't settle for it, anyway.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm wondering what kind of machine this is, and if it's still covered under Applecare.

I also wonder if google will show the same MBPs to have similar issues caused by something else, such as a bad nvidia GPU.

IMO, this sounds to be total BS, but it makes me glad I paid my applestore 150 clams to upgrade my ram.

Apple, the genius bar, applecare and apple service reps are generally pretty good about going above and beyond to provide customer satisfaction. But Apple is a corporation whose main goal is to make profits. I wonder if individual apple stores have goals or quotas about warranty returns and/or repairs? If you're a manager or genius, and your pay or bonus is determined by how many machines you have apple pay to repair or replace, it could be a strong incentive to be a douchebag if you've got that trait already. Anyone who works for a large corporation will agree with me on this one.

Have the applestore and ram manufacturer/retailer provide you with evidence showing pros and cons. Ram is a user replaceable part, so I'd be all over both until this was resolved.

$1250 for a logic board replacement? Crap, I'd rather pay one hundred more for a new machine! Ridiculous!

4. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Exactly! I've just had to have the logic board replaced on my early 08 macbook. The total bill for the repair came to £550 (Its only a month old so was free)

I only brought the machine for £529 to begin with (refurb)!

5. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Sound like they're trying to screw you like they tried to screw me.

I took my MacBook Pro into the Apple Store in Ann Arbor Michigan, and the genius told me that my MBP would cost $950 to repair the bad IR Receiver, and to fix the ambient pulsing light behind the latch release button for the lid.

The Tech at the repair depot told me that my HD wasn't the Apple Certified HD that was shipped with it so it Voided the Repair. I explained to him that i had know idea it was changed, because i bought it from someone else, and they never mentioned it to me.

He then explained to me that if something comes into the depot under warranty, which turns out to be void for some other reason, the repair falls under a 'tiered pricing'. This pricing turns out to cover everything, including the opening of the laptop, the diagnostics, and repair itself. So, to make a long story short, i told him not to do anything and just ship it back to me.

So now, i have bought another 160 GB HD, to pay to have installed by a Certified Apple Service Rep. On top of which i will have to pay another $120, to have them install it. Only to send back to Apple to finally get my stuff repaired.

Talk about a joke.