Genius Bar Horrible Job

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ItaniumShock, Jan 14, 2012.

1. ItaniumShock, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

ItaniumShock macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone

Today I set up an appointment with the Apple Store because there was smudge and dust behind the glass and on the lcd. They cleaned it but there was smudge and everything. I complained with a rep and set up another appointment. However they took longer and told me that they cant get all the dust out and smudges cause they, the technicians, don't work in 'labs". I was upset that they have wasted my time. Is there any way to file a complaint. I just want to have a perfect screen without any problems.

2. ItaniumShock thread starter macrumors newbie

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

www.apple.com/feedback probably isn't the right venue. Take the machine back in and ask to speak to a manager and patiently explain your problem.

4. craigsharp macrumors regular

5. ItaniumShock thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh
    its the 2011 iMac base model
    I bought it via Amazon around December.

I went back in there today and they told me they fix it
    to where it just works. They turned on the screen and said, as long as they dont see it, its not a problem.

6. craigsharp macrumors regular

7. barredfreak macrumors 6502

This normally isn't what one expects when going to the Geniuses. Try asking for a manager.

8. ItaniumShock thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw that one already lol. But I dont want to be in that situation XD

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Were the problems evident when you bought it?

Quite right! So what is the problem?

10. Coltaine, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

Coltaine macrumors regular

Coltaine

Well, I can understand the thread starter.

When the smudges at the back of glass have been there from the beginning, I would immediately have returned the machine. At least, I can expect them to clean it properly.

If I buy a product, which is worth more than 1000 Bucks and advertised as a superior machine, then I want it to be perfect. And that means no smudges on the back of the glass screen, when it should be in mint condition.

Insist on seeing the store manager, explain your situation kindly and and request a perfect solution to your problem. You are the customer, they want something from you (your money and loyality) and not you from them (customer service is not an extra, it should be self-evident).
    In case you have already spoken to the guy in charge at the store and they turned you off, call Apple directly and demand a solution to your problem.
    You are still within the 90 day support margin (or maybe you have a protection plan!?), they can't simply ignore the problem.
    When they can't get it clean in a normal place, they have to take it to a lab, it's their problem, not yours.

I have been in too many situations, where I felt like I was treated like a piece of crap by support personell, it's something I consider completely unacceptable.

Though I have to say this does not apply to Apple staff so far, I've always been treated nicely and there were quick solutions to my problems - not that there have been many so far.
    Only thing I realized: sometimes I have the feeling I know more about the Apple products and how they work than the people in the store. ;)

11. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Without being in a clean room I can understand why they can't fix it on-site. I am surprised they did not at least offer to ship it to a local facility to be cleaned right but that also means not having your iMac for at least a weak.

All that aside this is unacceptable and I would call apple support directly to see about a swap out.

12. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

id advise against the method used in the video, yes find a good pair of suction cups and apply them in opposite corners diagonally and it will come off properly instead of "peeling" around the edges.

A good idea to keep dust out of the system and behind the glass get a air compressor from a local hardware store, i find its a bit better in these situations then canned air.

If you are replacing the glass panel yourself, and you have a nice suction cup place the panel partially back into place on the iMac and use the air compressor to blow out dust while reseating the glass panel, limits the chance of more dust coming as that panel traps particles in there very easily.

13. heimbachae macrumors regular

heimbachae

these smudge panel threads are becoming more common. I dislike this.

14. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Good for you.

OP, nobody will be able to get the dust out of your machine unless they work in a cleanroom. If anything, apple would wind up replacing the machine, but you'd probably have to make quite a fuss about it before they do that.

If the dust is the issue, then try tapping on the glass til all the dust falls off.

15. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Lol, dont do this

16. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Why not? Worked for me on my MBP that had dust in the screen. If tapping lightly on some glass damages the screen, then there's some bigger problems with the genius bar's job.

17. lc25 macrumors 6502

Just be polite and speak to the store manager, they are fully aware of the premium product you have and so will generally be more than happy to assist you.

18. ItaniumShock thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I understand what you are trying to say. I will be calling later on today and to see what will happen in the long run. If I paid a high premium on this machine, I expect good service as well. They were nice and courteous in the Apple Store, but was not able to solve the problem quickly. But overall this is unacceptable and hopefully in the future they can solve the problem.

Btw tapping is not good XD

----------

Yeah its been a problem. I wish they can upgrade my machine for the hassle they have been giving me. Driving to an Apple Store 30 mins away (I know some people where they have to drive for at least 2 hours) is a pain, especially driving back twice the same day. >.<

19. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

All you have to do is get some suction cups to pull the glass off. Then dampen a lint free cotton cloth with 70% rubbing alcohol. Then thoroughly rub the back of the glass and screen. Dry with a lint free cotton cloth. Place the screen back in. Being careful to only handle the edges so you don't smudge it again.

You can use some brands of paper towels but risk scratching the LCD as the wood fibers are harder than plastic. I've never had it happen it is a risk.

Note: Do not use 90% alcohol that stuff can strip the coating on the LCD.:eek: