Genius Bar image retention test

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cergman, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I just got my rMBP back from the repair depot, and unfortunately it has an LG display. I can see some retention when using an image retention test like this, but I'm not sure if it will sufficiently pass the genius bar test to get the display replaced since I've heard it's a fairly apple-biased test. Can anyone who's had it done describe what they do to test it? How long on the checkerboard etc, and did yours pass or fail? Thanks.

2. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Oh the woes of owning a retina display. It think in the not to distant future it will be a plague on us all!!

3. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Or you could just try not running the test!

4. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

5. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

And play RUssian roulette with Apple and hope that after the fifth return I get a good screen.

6. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

It's really quite pathetic that there are still screens with image retention in circulation. Odd how they haven't pulled LG's since its release a few years ago.

7. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

If under general use you have ghosting, then I agree it needs replacing. But you're doing some idiotic 8min test designed to make it happen. Come on dude!

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mostly because people probably don't notice it under normal operating conditions. Forcing the issue such as that test doesn't really mean the display has a problem.

Nonetheless if you're not happy with it, then return it for repair. Just because its an LG display means it's bad.

9. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

I have image retention when I do that test, but I have absolutely no image retention 100% of the time during other uses. There's no reason for me to return it if I can't find a flaw with it without seriously looking for it.

I bet I could find pits in the aluminum if I wanted to take a powerful microscope to it, but I won't do that because I don't care since I can't see it anyway.

10. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

I was seeing image retention but it did not fail the Apple test when I took it in and they wouldn't replace the screen. However a few months later I lot several stuck pixels in a line and they replaced the screen with a Samsung, no more image retention.

11. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

What did they do to test it?

12. LMD75 macrumors 6502

I had IR on a 2015 15" A02E panel and it showed IR after just 3 minutes when running the test. I was actually surprised to see this on a 2015 model however the real reason for my return was the white point was just too warm for my liking. I made an appointment with the Genius Bar, they ran a field test then did not even bother to test the IR and just gave me a replacement.

13. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

They plug into their local network and then boot from their own server, this puts the MBP into a special diagnostic test mode.