Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I always make Genius Bar appointments in advance, but I just cracked my screen today on my iPhone, and the next appointment in any store within 50 miles isn't for a week. Seeing as I use my phone for work, a week isn't really realistic in my situation. Historically, I know Apple has honored same-day walk-in appointments to a certain capacity, especially if just replacing the screen on a phone. Has anyone tried doing a walk-in appointment since stores have modified operations due to COVID? Afraid to trek all the way to the store in advance of my appointment in a week, only to be denied and have wasted my time.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Difficult to predict. All Apple stores that are open have limited capacity, and some are curbside only with a storefront Genius Bar. The experience someone has at one location won’t necessarily apply to your location.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Difficult to predict. All Apple stores that are open have limited capacity, and some are curbside only with a storefront Genius Bar. The experience someone has at one location won’t necessarily apply to your location.

Agreed, that's why I was hoping to see what experiences of other members have been. Seems like no one else has tried this yet, so I'll try tomorrow and report back. I hear you on that different cities are probably operating under different conditions, but given Apple is still a major company with standards and operating procedures, I'm sure we can draw similarities between some different stores.

StageMomma

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2019
South Carolina
When you call the store and there automated voice says How can I help you today, say Speak to a manager and it should take you directly to someone in the store.

Reactions: Dwalls90

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Can you order an express replacement? They send you a replacement phone, put a hold on your card, and you send your broken one in?
Ive done this, and it worked very well. They got the replacement to me very fast.

Thanks for this suggestion. Express replacement is normally reserved for the $99 full device replacement, however, upon speaking with a senior advisor last night, I was told that Apple now honors express replacement for $29 screen replacements only (probably because of COVID). I wish I had known this yesterday morning since my device could have been on its way by now.

When you call the store and there automated voice says How can I help you today, say Speak to a manager and it should take you directly to someone in the store.

Ah, shucks, I figured there must have been a way to force through to a local store representative. I plan to go to the store right before it opens today at this point, but may try this later today just to see if this works for my local stores for future reference.

Reactions: Pipper99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.