Genius Bar iPhone 3G Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zerrrox22, Dec 22, 2008.

1. zerrrox22 macrumors newbie

So tomorrow I will be heading to the Apple Store in SoHo hoping to get a replacement for my iPhone 3G. The current problem is the screen has started developing lines of bubbles that look as if the screen is coming apart. This has been a common problem talked about on this forum so I'm not all that worried about it being taken care of by Apple.

Now my question is regarding the replacement process. As I have bought the original phone at an AT&T store, is there any chance I could get a brand new iPhone replacement or would I be getting a refurbished unit? Also if any of you have had any experience with this, are there still problems with the refurbished units like before? (i.e. dust under screen, scratched bezel etc.)

Thanks!

2. spazattack674 macrumors regular

I think it depends. When I got mine replaced recently (Black Friday, actually), it was new I think, because they didn't have any in stock and I had to wait until the following Tuesday for a new shipment.

3. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I returned my phone to the Apple store because my phone started to develop cracks by the dock connector and I was given a refurbished phone. The refurbished one was in perfect condition. No cracks, no light leak... perfect!

So I guess what I am trying to say is, don't let the word "refurbished" scare you because they are essentially brand new phones.

Let us know how it goes...

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I brought my box, accessories and receipt and they Genius went to the back room and opened up the new boxed iPhone then handed it to me so I could take it out of the box and get it ready for activation...:cool:

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

You'll likely get a refurb. Basically instead of taking yours away, repairing it, and giving the same one back to you, and you being without a phone for a week, they give you a refurbished one. You wont know any difference

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Refurbs are GRRRRRREEEEAAAT !!!!

Attached Files:

7. zerrrox22 thread starter macrumors newbie

:) Thanks for all your quick replies. I'm actually not anti-refurb, my first iPhone 2G was a refurb and it was still the best phone I ever had up till that point. I was just concerned over the quality of the iPhone 3G phones as I've read some horror stories about them, but this thread has put those feelings to rest.

I'll update everyone tomorrow for the result. Thanks again

8. zerrrox22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update...

Just got back from the Apple Store with my "new" iPhone :)

The replacement phone came from a plain white box which leads me to believe it is a refurb but I have to say the quality of the build and overall feel is actually better than the new iPhone 3G I got on July 27th from AT&T. The home button and silent switch are much more responsive and no more light leak!

Overall the replacement process was quick and easy thanks to the Genius Bar at Apple. Once again Apple has made me a satisfied customer.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats on the new/refurb 3G iPhone. Yeah, my v1 iPhone refurb was just awesome as well and better than the new one it replaced...:cool: