Genius Bar/iPhone question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jessica Lares, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm going into the Apple Store tonight because my headphone jack stopped working on my iPhone 4. Here's my question...

Can the Genius guy just open my device and replace that bit of hardware, or do they just have to give me a new iPhone?

I personally would rather they open the thing and replace it to be honest...

I've only been in for a battery replacement for my MBP which is why I'm asking.

2. mach macrumors regular

If it's in warranty, they will probably just give you a new one (it's faster and easier for them to give you a new/refurbished one right now, repair yours later, and then someone else gets that when theirs breaks, the cycle continues). I would recommend backing it up before you go. Hope that helps!

3. Centient macrumors 6502

They'll give you a "new" phone. Which may or may not be a refurb. Guy at my Apple store told me they really don't do repairs. Just replacements.

4. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Okay. Well, I at least hope it's in the condition mine is... No scratches whatsoever. The other problem would be that the silent sliding thing looks like it's about to fall off.

And yeah, I just restored it.

Thanks.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

FIRST:

Get a safety pin or paper-clip. Poke around in the jack. Any pocket lint come out?

6. Centient macrumors 6502

From what I hear, the replacement they give you will really appear new for all intents and purposes. It's not like they're going to reach into a box under the counter and just grab an unboxed phone they have laying around. ;)

7. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

We tried that. We even tried a vacuum. I tried a needle, a paper clip, some tape, some DUCT TAPE wrapped around something, etc.

What is the water damage indicator made of? Because when I push my Apple headphones in, it's like it won't go all the way in, and you can hear it pressing into something...

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No idea, but that doesn't sound good.

I had this problem once from pocket lint but that didn't create any resistance. You literally couldn't tell anything was in there other than the fact that it didn't work.

9. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just wanted to follow up on this...

I took it in yesterday. Wasn't a big deal because I was going to the store to add to my gift card (for my new MBP refresh around October). The guy didn't even really look at it and immediately said he was going to trade it out when I sat down over at the Genius Bar.

Well... He DID look at it, just to make sure of my firmware and see if my volume was up, but I told him I tried all the various methods - Using multiple Apple designed headphones, restoring threw times, etc, etc. He was impressed that I took the time to completely wipe it out beforehand (which you're supposed to do anyway...).

But anyway, got a new phone and slapped $100 more into my Apple card. I always screw with the employees that way. Some lady even went, "Oh yeah, some customer came in last time wanting to do this, but the option's not there anymore!", and I'm like, "Yeah, it was me..." And they laughed.

I love going to the Apple Store.