Genius bar issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ingster, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

So i took my iphone in last night for a swap due to dust under the screen, i rang ahead prior to booking my appointment to check that they had a 16gb white in stock for replacement, which they did, so i booked my appointment and drove the 26 miles to the store to meet my 'Genius'.

He looked at it, wiped the screen and asked me if i kept the phone in a cover, strange i thought and i admitted that when it was new i did but 2 months after i stopped because i loved the 'naked look' he opened my sim tray and exclaimed that there was a lot of fluff/lint in and around the tray, same with my headphone jack and my dock connector, he informed me that this was the reason there was dust behind the screen. He explained that there shouldnt be dust under the screen if it was kept in a case all the time, and my reply was to ask if apple now provide a case when the iPhone is purchased seeing as it NEEDS to be in one, he told me no, so i told him not to be silly and just replce the phone as it's a manufacturing issue not dust getting in from behind the sim tray, he only agreed that he would this time IF i agree to put it back in my case, i obviously haven't but a nice shiny iphone is now mine!

I've usually had great service at the genius bar, and could not understand the guy's lack of willing to cooperate, it's not as if he's gonna get docked pay for every iphone handed in!

come on :apple: get your geniuses sorted!

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

I think he just hated seeing his beloved iPhone 3G treated as just a cell phone. You should be ashamed of yourself for being so insensitive to his feelings.:eek:

Dave

3. vilim12 macrumors regular

Thats pretty weird. When I took mine in all she did was shine the blue light on it to see if there had been water damaged. Asked me if I kept it in a case I said yes and then she just replaced it and swapped the sim. No trouble at all. My new one has dust under the screen and I plan on taking it in right before the new iphone releases to get it replaced and then I will sell it and upgrade lol

4. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

You're the one who didn't keep the iPhone in the case. Every open space on the iPhone has a tendency to collect dust and that dust has a tendency to move around inside the device, especially in the screen. If you just said, "Yeah, I kept it in a case," there would be no problem. But because you actively told him that you weren't taking exquisite care of a delicate device told him that you don't care about the device enough to get a new one for free. That's why he was hesitant.

Also, Geniuses are not fond of customers who think they're entitled to a new one for every reason under the sun. If it's a real manufacturing defect and you can prove it, no problem. If it's dust underneath the screen, you should be able to deal with it.

5. macfearless macrumors regular

Yeah, the bottom left corner of mine is gathering dust at an exponential rate. However, upon shining the blue light in my dock connector, I was denied a replacement. Funny, how my phone has never been wet, but the overly sensitive "water damage" indicator has thwarted me getting a new phone.
    The genius was too nerdy for me to be a a$$ to, so I kept my cool.

6. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I agree.

What is the point of a genius' saying "I will replace it, IF you put in a case"

Well... Put it in a case damn it! The fact that he allowed you to get a new one was great. I've seen people get turned down a lot, you are one of the lucky ones to get your iPhone replaced due to an issue that was obviously your fault.

You're just being spoiled and wanting everyone and everything to go your way.

Respect the genius'. [​IMG]

7. jbrucato macrumors member

I've had multiple iPhone replacements due to various reasons. As long as you know what you're talking about and can word you explanations correctly (or cleverly :)), they don't mind cooperating.

8. Ingster thread starter macrumors 6502

Ingster

Why should i put it in a case, it's a phone if Apple wanted it in a case they should provide one with the phone, i had no problems with my 1st gen iphone and that never saw a case.

I took it in to be replaced based on the reports of others on here saying it was due to manufacturing issue, i'm not one of those guys who go to the genius bar 20 times per month with the slightest thing.

9. dubels macrumors 6502

Dock connector? The water test strip is in the headphone jack. I am looking into ways to block the jack even without my headphones being in there. The problem with a lot of the water test strips on cell phones is that they tend to be in areas that are open and subject to moisture even if they are not dumped in water or anything. Taking your phone with you on a run or just into the bathroom with you while you shower can set off the test strip.

And the issue of dust behind the screen is not the users fault. The screen should be sealed for moisture reasons anyways. Apple designed a product that mostly is placed in people's pockets if they wanted the phone to be used with a case they should have provided one.

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I believe the 3G also has water detectors in the dock connector area.

11. vilim12 macrumors regular

It does, the shone the light in my dock connector also

12. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

I agree, why the hell should I keep my iPhone in a case, whats the point in Apple making the iPhone look so good when its going to be covered up surely thats a defect if you need a case, why isn't there a case included, why isn't there anything in the instruction manual regarding a case???

What a load of s*** Apple!

13. vengeful Poet macrumors newbie

I've got that light leak problem on my brand new iPhone 3G and, while the Genius who assisted me tried his best to fix it (they had some sort of suction cup apparatus at the store which can take off the phone's screen after removing the screws), he would not give me a replacement.

Further motivation to return it and wait for the infamous next version, I guess.

14. vilim12 macrumors regular

My last one had a light leak, I didnt think much of it tho. Sooner or later that light leak will let some dust in, they replace it pretty easily if theres dust. Dust didnt even bother me I just wanted a scratch free phone lol