genius bar made iphone 5s problem worse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone.5S, Jun 20, 2014.

1. iPhone.5S macrumors newbie

hi, basically i have a 3 month old iphone 5s and after a while the fingerprint function stopped working. I was living in dubai at the time and theres no apple stores there and so i thought the best option was to go to a phone shop and get it fixed there.

The shop didnt fix my problem and so when i came to the UK i decided to take it to the apple store here. Turns out getting it fixed by a third party voided my warranty. however, when i gave it to the genius bar, it was working perfectly fine (without the fingerprint function). When they gave it back, it had white squares on the screen (google search described problem as loose connection). Apple employee said theres nothing they can do about it as my warranty is void even though he made my problem even worse and now my iphone 5s which i bought 3 months ago is no unusable.

Does anybody know anything i can do or am i basically screwed? :confused:

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Unfortunately having anyone open your phone other than Apple does void their warranty. You may be able to talk to a manager to get some help with the problem getting worse, but in the end they have their warranty policy to back them up.

Best of luck.

EDIT: You can probably get the screen issue fixed at a third party shop as well.

3. iPhone.5S thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple employee seemed adamant that he cant fix the problem because of warranty being voided even though he damaged the phone further. I just hope the manger will be more reasonable.

Thanks for your advice :)

4. shawndc1 macrumors regular

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

My guess is that they will not help you, but go in with a good attitude and they may work something out with you.

6. Charadis, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014

Charadis macrumors 6502a

OP, do the white squares on the screen show up on the very top? That's usually indicative of a loose/mis connection somewhere between the screen and the logic board. It can probably be resolved by reopening the phone and disconnect/reconnect the connector from the screen to the board. Also, when opened and disconnected, try cleaning up the connector, in case any finger oil/dirt could have contaminated the connection.

See pic below, contributed by member in Apple's Support Community.

https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-19781556-158633/75dacef83c2921266597fc225ff66afe.jpg