iPad Genius Bar need to order in replacement. How long?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RebornProphet, Nov 3, 2014.

1. RebornProphet Suspended

I took my iPad Air in to the Genius Bar today because I'm sick of the on/off WiFi performance (among other things).

The Genius agreed to replace my device but said there was no 32GB WiFi models in stock, so he'd order one in and give me a receipt away to bring when the replacement arrives.

Firstly, has anyone had the Genius Bar order in a replacement and how long does it take?

Secondly, what are the chances of this replacement (I know it'll be a refurb and that's cool) coming with iOS 7.1.2 and not iOS 8 installed?

2. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

Why didnt you just ask the genius bar person how long it would take?

3. RebornProphet thread starter Suspended

Because I forgot.

Thank you ever so much for the woeful attempt at sarcasm.

4. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

I don't know how long it will take but I'm fairly certain it will have to most recent OS on it. Apple wants to push adoption of iOS 8 so its unlikely that they'll ship anything that isn't updated.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Because it's easier to ask an internet forum, duh.

6. RebornProphet thread starter Suspended

3 replies, one actually on topic and two from guys who seem to think they're comedians.

What's even worse is you decided to be an arse even after I'd told the other comedian that I simply forgot. I went on my lunch break, my appt was 15 minutes late (I was on time), and I had to get back to the office for a meeting. And that's already far more info than you even deserved.

Happy?

----------

See, I was hoping it might be picked from an older batch and therefore have iOS 7.1.2 on there. I'll check it out once it comes through, if it's got iOS 8 on it I'll just keep my own Air.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Relax bud. It's Monday and we're all trying to get through it together.

8. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

When Someone in my family had a cellular mini 1 replaced last year, it took about 2 days. The genius pointed out that parts ordered for customers are fedex overnighted. I'm not sure if that is ALL replacements, but that's how our conversation station went

9. RebornProphet thread starter Suspended

Now that we can agree on! I've not long finished work, home for a well earned feet up.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Oh how I envy you East Coast people. It's 11:22am and it's a looooong time till 7pm PST.

11. RebornProphet thread starter Suspended

Glasgow, Scotland mate. ;)

19:30.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Oh wow, you're across the pond! Ya it's still pretty early here on the West Coast of the USA lol.

13. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

When I had a problem with my iPhone 5 and store didn't have any stock I was told it could be 3-5 business days, however there was a probability they would get my model in stock the next day because they were getting a shipment of replacement phones in. I decided to try another store which is busier and sure enough they had my phone in stock ready to be used.

Honestly, with my iPhone 5 I had 14 replacements with 4-5 of them coming through the mail. 4 of those phones came with iOS 6 (3 were from mail in, 1 was store stock) and this was about a year ago this month. I'd say your probability of getting one with iOS 7.1.2 is 1 in 8-10 iPads so rather slim.

When the one phone that came from the store had iOS 6 the Genius looked at it and said he hadn't pulled one out with iOS 6 in about 2 months. :p

14. RebornProphet thread starter Suspended

I think had there been stock from precious batches lying around the storeroom I may have had a chance. I doubt a freshly requested order for a specific model will have older firmware at this point in time. Last month, perhaps ... now I'm not hopeful.

15. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Last year I dropped off my iPhone 1 for a battery change. I was very surprised to get a call the next day to pick it up.

It was a swapped unit, not my original one, and a little nostalgic getting a new iPhone 1 in 2013.

This was in Walnut Creek, Bay Area CA. With a turnaround like that I'm not surprised if there was a warehouse serving the stores around here.

Your mileage may vary.

16. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

You never know. Most of the iPhone 5's I got with iOS 6 came through the mail, in fact IIRC one shipped directly from China right off the remanufacture line. And all of them had rebuild dates of after iOS 7's release date so you never know. Good luck though!

17. RebornProphet thread starter Suspended