Genius Bar perform repairs on loose sleep button ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LevMac, Mar 12, 2011.

1. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hey guys,

Just wondering if I was to take my iPhone 4 in, would they be able to somehow make my sleep/wake button "tighter" as it does rattle when placing phone down on a desk or shaking it, and yes when I press the button and shake it, it does not rattle, so it's definately the button

I wouldn't want a replacement as I have already had a replacement for bad battery, another replacement for yellow screen, as this one is perfect I wouldn't wanna risk getting it replaced, but rather repaired....

2. profets macrumors 68040

I've used/seen 5-6 iPhone 4's in person and they eventually all started to get a loose/rattling sleep/power button. Was wondering the same thing if they can fix it at the Apple store.

3. nukem170 macrumors member

I dont believe they do any kind of repairs. A friend of mine had the same issue with her iPod and they just replaced it.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

They'll replace the back glass if needed. Otherwise they will replace the phone. :cool:

5. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

They WILL replace it if you want it replaced but they wont fix it. very iPhone 4 Ive seen has a loose one...but some are tighter but they get loose over time. Some iPhone 4s are very very loose.....but be careful...every replacement is a yellow screen inside the US.

edit...looks like your outside the US...replacement might be fine.

6. Merkie macrumors 68020

I doubt they'll replace your entire phone just because the sleep/wake button is little bit loose. They'll probably say the performance is within spec and that it doesn't hinder the user in usability.

7. John88 macrumors member

I had my VZW iPhone replaced last week for this exact issue. They will not tighten it for you, instead will offer you an exchange. The replacement I got has a very solid sleep/wake button, no more rattle when shaken side to side. But it still rattles when laying it on a hard surface or tapping near the camera.

My conclusion:

The rattle you hear when shaking your iPhone side to side = a loose sleep/wake button.

The rattle you hear when laying the iPhone on a hard surface or tapping near the camera = camera autofocus or vibrate motor which is normal.
    Depending on which case is on your iPhone, it may be less noticeable. My first, second, and third VZW iPhone has this rattle. I've tried tapping near the camera on another iPhone, Fascinate, and a Droid X- they all made a rattling noise.

8. Merkie macrumors 68020

This is the autofocus mechanism. Nothing to worry about.

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I got mine replaced for that issue..the guy said it was too wiggly.. I just a case on mine now so it doesnt bother me. button works fine.

10. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

That's good to know. I'm having the same problem with the loose/rattling power button. I think I'll go into Apple and have them take a look.

When I put my Apple Bumper on the power button doesn't even work, but then again I'm not sure if that's the bumper that's faulty too, I'll just take both it anyway.

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

My new home button is a lot better...just be careful of the yellow tint replacements.

12. LevMac thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

Thanks for the replies everybody,

I think im just gonna stick with it instead of replace it and get some other issue like a lit pixel or yellow screen !

13. Hippoone macrumors newbie

Sorry for bring this up after months after. Started to notice this on my phone. Just wanted to hear from real people who had this issue not people at the store that just wants to replace my perfectly fine phone with something that might have a chance of having something wrong with it. I was wondering if you have any problems now with any of the camera and/or sleep button... and if the rattling has gotten worse? thanks

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I tend to agree. With the amount of people coming in and out of the Apple store they don't want to waste time repairing phones. They will be replace it.