Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenlevin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Sunny Florida
Hey all. I am taking my Air in today to have the screen replaced. What would be the best way to secure some folders so they can't be accessed? I'd prefer to not have to wipe the whole drive. Is that what I should do though, or is there an easier way? Forgive me for not thoroughly searching for an answer - don't have a ton of time if I do need to wipe it so a quick answer would be fantastic. Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Create an encrypted DMG and then move all your private folders to that. I'd personally just move them off the Mac for the time being.

In fact when I had to send my laptop to apple for repair, I backed it up, wiped it completely. You never no what you might miss and I'd not leave some files for them to view, i.e., finance, credit card, bank statements etc.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do at least a backup to an external HDD via CarbonCopyCloner* or copy the data you can't lose or use Time Machine, but do a backup, as Apple does not cover data loss during repairs.
And if you are really worried about data theft, delete the files (after the backup) you don't want to be seen. Simply protecting your user account with a password helps, but if Apple wants your data and into your account, they can get to it, though they don't really care about your data.
Maybe create another admin account for Apple to check the MBA is working, but they probably use an external boot device to see, if it works.

jenlevin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Sunny Florida
I do have everything backed up on an external drive. And there's nothing that would be detrimental if found (no bank info, etc) just prefer to keep most things out of reach for privacy's sake. Encrypted DMG will work for me. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.