Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrcourt123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I've had a MBP for just under 2 years now and have had to bring it to the Genius Bar 3 times. Every time I bring it in they tell me that they're technically not supposed to help me with my problem, but then they do anyway. Here were my 3 issues and how they resolved them:

1) The hinge connecting my display to the body of the computer was broken. They told me they don't replace hinges because the only way they break is from physical damage by the user. They ended up replacing my entire display (which is necessary with the unibodies).

2) My battery was in need of service after a year and was down to ~70% health. I brought it in to ask what my options were. They told me batteries are considered "consumables" and are not covered by apple care. They ended up replacing it for me anyway.

3) Recently my hard drive crashed. They told me that they're not supposed to give back failed drives. I imagine they send them back to the manufacturer for some type of refund. They ended up giving it back to me anyway so that I could try to extract the data. They also swapped out my 320GB drive for a 500GB because it was the only comparable one they had in stock.

My question is: is this normal? Is this part of what the genius bar does? Do they try to make the customer feel better by telling them they're not really supposed to do something and then do it anyway? Has anyone had similar experiences?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My question is: is this normal? Is this part of what the genius bar does? Do they try to make the customer feel better by telling them they're not really supposed to do something and then do it anyway? Has anyone had similar experiences?
There have been hundreds of similar experiences posted in the forum. It's up to the discretion of the Apple Store whether they will or won't do such things. Yes, they do it to go the "extra mile" to keep their customers happy.

Patrick946

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
I had similar experiences with my macbook, mac mini, iPod and iPhone. Most recently, my iPhone 4 fell and the back glass shattered. About a month later the volume down button stopped working. The "Genius" made a big deal about how I damaged it and they're not supposed to give any free repairs if the phone was clearly damaged by the customer, but he decided that the button seemed like a separate issue and replaced the whole phone. I've brought in my out of warranty macbook a bunch of times as well and they have always looked it over and on a few occasions made some minor fixes.

Basically, if you have an issue with an Apple product, bring it to the Apple store ASAP, even if it's out of warranty or you don't think they can fix it. Their customer service is unbelievable.

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
It probably means that you've gone in and haven't acted like an ass-hat when requesting service. Bless you. :)

It's true... If you go in and treat them nicely and act reasonably you'll get much better service. Not only in the apple store but elsewhere as well.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009

If you brought your Laptop back to Best Buy because you dropped it, would you expect them to replace/fix it for free?

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
It will help you

1)if you are lucky and get someone who is accomodating

2)are able to articulate your problem/issue well in very pleasant and calm manner

3)don't smell

4)go in at very busy time and genius wait time is off the chart.(this may or maybe not work for you)

5)go in w/ reasonable problem but what the hell, try your luck anyway.

This is not a company w/ cash problem. They rather give out free stuff than have their genius wait time reach 2 hours.(exchanging old to new for no apparent and obvious reason). We walk in w/ iphone that was only 4 month old and told them about some signal issue in a very calm manner. We told him that we were getting run around from at&t. His response? "it's most likely not a apple issue BUT i want you to walk out here happy so I will just give ou a new one"

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
don't assume you will get this kind of treatment every time. The genius bar had every right to refuse you service based on your information, but rather went the extra distance to make you a repeat customer. Win/Win situation, but don't feel endowed that they owe you the same service every time something occurs outside the applecare agreement terms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.