Genius Bar question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cdrgold, Aug 10, 2011.

1. cdrgold macrumors member

Hi all

Just a quick question. I have ordered some more ram for my Pro and I was wondering if the guys at the genius bar would be able to fit it for me or at least undo the screws for me. I would do it myself, however, I don't have a screwdriver that fits the small screws on the bottom of the mac.

2. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Dollar stores usually carry cheap precision screwdriver sets. That's where I got mine!

You don't wanna pay someone to do a 30 second job for you! Really....

3. cdrgold thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know I would have to pay. I thought the genius bar was free. Unless they had to send it off. I have ordered on off ebay for 99p, but I am impatient

4. djrbx macrumors member

They are free if you are having system problems and your product is still under warranty. What you are doing on the other hand is a system upgrade and not a warranty claim so it doesn't make sense for you to think that it would be free otherwise.

5. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I have heard of some instances where a Genius has been kind enough to perform the upgrade for free if the store wasn't extremely busy, but your mileage may vary.

To remove the bottom panel from your MacBook Pro you will require a Philips #00 screwdriver, which can be found in most precision screwdriver sets that are available from the majority of hardware stores (I picked up a full 30-bit set including Philips and Torx for under $25.00).

It's not hard to do, it's just a matter of being careful to not scratch the casing or damage any of the internal components. The user guide that came with your MacBook Pro outlines the entire process for you.

If you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself, then I would advise taking the computer in to the Genius Bar or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to have the upgrade done.

Have a good day. :)

6. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

You can get a Husky multi-tip screwdriver for $6 at Home Depot, it will have the Philips #00. I've found them to be better quality (less likely to strip) than the dollar store ones, but if you're careful, either will work. Just do it yourself.

7. cdrgold thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies. I will cancel by Genius Bar appointment then and do it myself. I did order a screwdriver, but that won't be here until next week. So I will head over to DIY store and pick one up.