Genius Bar question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by anaqvi786, Jul 26, 2013.

1. anaqvi786, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

anaqvi786 macrumors regular

Hello everyone
    I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forum but I am new here, and I couldn't find any other threads on this, so here is my question. I have a Jailbroken iPhone with a defective screen (yellow spots on the edges of the LCD) and after 4 months of use, it won't go away. I have decided to go to the Genius Bar to get the screen replaced, but since my iPhone is Jailbroken, I am not sure if they will refuse service or not. I already hid all my jailbreak apps and cydia off my home screen, and I uninstalled some tweaks that have settings menus. I was wondering if what I did was enough to not get caught by the Genius Bar, and on first blush, my iphone doesn't look Jailbroken. Btw, it is an iPhone 5 16GB Black on verizon
    Please don't judge me or anything, I am only 13.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Don't you have to be 13 to join this forum?

Anyway, I would restore your device before you take it in just in case they want to take it and fix the screen.

3. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Genius Bar question

If you don't want to restore, run ilex rat to get rid of all the tweaks making it look jailbroken. Make sure you write down all your tweaks before doing anything. It also looks like your going to loose you jailbreak if you restore BTW. But if you get a replacement it will most likely be on 6.1.3 or higher and you cannot downgrade.

5. anaqvi786 thread starter macrumors regular

To update everyone, I decided not to go, and just replace the screen myself whenever I get the money. Thanks everyone for your support, as it is really appreciated

6. kage207 macrumors 6502a

That's just silly. Restore your phone and get it replaced. It is not easy as it sounds to replace the screen.

7. anaqvi786 thread starter macrumors regular

But the thing is, if I go for the replacement, it will come with ios 6.1.3 or higher and I can't jailbreak it, and if I get the screen replaced by them, they might refuse service due to the jailbreak. I had the cash and it was a matter of a few screws and cables to replace the screen. Mind you that I could build computers 3 years ago when I was 10. And the new screen actually doesn't have scratches and looks nice.

8. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

There always comes a time when you need to loose the jailbreak. Here is one one of those times... I had to do the same thing when I had to go service my iPhone 5 but it ended up that the it was the jailbreak caused my battery to suffer when it was jailbroken(last February). I had to restore to iOS 6.1.4. I had to live with it. Trust me, you will used to a non jailbroken iPhone after a few weeks. What's so important in the jailbreak besides the customization?

9. kage207 macrumors 6502a

And this is nothing like building a computer. I've built computers for over 15 years now and it's a pain to replace an iPhone screen that I've only done once because the screws are tiny and the parts can damage easily. If you mess up and then are forced to bring it in they will know you tried to fix it and they will refuse service. So keep in mind, if you mess up you have absolutely no way to fix it unless you pay more to get a 3rd party and even then they can mess up and Apple can refuse service yet again.

And oh no... jailbreaking. That's why you wipe it clean and restore it.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ios...7j0l3j69i62l2.4725j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    Wow you can re-jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 and 6.1.4!

10. anaqvi786 thread starter macrumors regular

Free tethering to my iPad off my data plan without paying extra ;)
    It is the main reason, otherwise my carrier will charge me extra.

11. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

That is a good reason... Do what you think is best we are just here to help you:)

12. anaqvi786 thread starter macrumors regular

13. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Meh, I've found sources that beg to differ. But hey, it's your phone to screw up.