Genius bar + replacement iPhone (out of warranty)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vin365, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Vin365, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

Vin365 macrumors regular

Today my launch iPhone 4's earpiece stopped working :(
    Kept it in perfect condition case,screen protector, etc.. I called up Apple and they told me it would be $149 to get a replacement which is ridiculous since it was obviously a hardware failure >_>

Now I have read stories online about the Genius bar people at the Apple Store replacing out of warranty iPhone's if it truly is a real hardware problem. Has anyone ever had any luck with this? Thanks

If I end up paying the $149 for the replacement will my contract be renewed as well?

2. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

There's a warranty period for a reason.

You can always try to find a friendly genius, but if you didn't get applecare, prepare to pay for a new one.

Or maybe this would be a good time to upgrade?

3. Vin365 thread starter macrumors regular

If I end up paying the $149 for the replacement will my contract be renewed as well?

4. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

go to the G bar, be nice, be honest. maybe they will help. they took care of my daughters phone way out of warranty for 80 bucks, they wrote it up as a battery replacement.

----------

no

5. Vin365 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip, I will def. be trying this.

6. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

It just depends on who you talk to. I still swap 3GS's out for replacement phones with a friend who works at Apple. My most recent iPhone 4 was out of warranty since it was purchased on the day it came out (without Apple Care) and they swapped it out for me (not my friend).

If they say no, go back another time and talk to another person.

7. jca24, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

be sure to backup right before you go, so texts, pics and all the other will be there when you sync new phone

:apple:

8. derickdub macrumors 6502

My 3GS was way out of warranty when I took it in a few months ago. All the antennas in it stopped working and they figured it was a hardware problem, but since the water sensor in the dock connector was tripped I had to pay $200.

The genius seemed like he really wanted to give me a free one too, since the phone was pretty much fine besides the water sensor (which I have no idea how it tripped, the phone never once touched water).

9. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Even if it is a hardware failure it isn't covered by warranty. The 149$ won't renew the contract just give you a refurbished iPhone. Many people have had luck with getting free replacments out of warranty so it is worth a try.

10. Vin365 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I have decided to take a ride up to the closest store (which is like 40 mins away) so hopefully I get paired with someone nice.

11. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

12. Vin365 thread starter macrumors regular

Would you guys suggest me telling the true date I purchased the phone if they ask, because I went in with my friend one time and saw the whole replacement process. The employee basically checked my friends iPhone out, saw it was a hardware defect then 2 mins later brought out a new iPhone, activated it, then we left, pretty sure he didn't even check the warranty.

If they do end up asking should I just say June? (that way it's open as either June 2010 or 2011)

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

The serial number will tell them all they need to know abouit the warranty. Doesn't matter what you tell them...

14. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

They know what day the phone was purchased its all in the serial number which they have to check before every replacement.