Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btallada9870

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
This morning, my girlfriend's iphone just stopped working. She put it on the charger last night, and when she woke up, it just didn't turn on. she tried plugging it into the computer, the wall outlet, pressing the home and sleep buttons. I made an appointment at the genius bar and was wondering how they replaced iphones. do they just hand you a new one, or do they send it out? she says that she "NEEDS her iphone back!" haha...

for the record, it wasn't hacked or unlocked, it just stopped working.

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
A few months ago, I had an issue with my phone and the Genius simply replaced it free at the time with a new one. He DID say that in the future, I'd have to 'rent' a phone while mine was being repaired. The rental fee was something like $25.

I've got an appointment with a Genius tomorrow for another issue....we'll see what they do this time.:confused:

Takufu

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
I had a problem with a battery and they just replaced it on the spot...he took the sim card out of the old phone and put in the new one so I wouldn't have any billing issues....it was quick and painless....also...I asked about the sign giving the policy for service on modified phones...they are not concerned with 3rd party apps....only phones that were unlocked for "other" phone services...pretty interesting.....

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Genius Bar just replaced my phone on Friday. I sometimes swap out the SIM card to my Nokia 6126... but this last time the iPhone SIM tray would NOT go back in. The mechanism was simply jammed. Genius Bar said they hadn't seen that before, so they gave me a replacement on the spot.

Also, maybe it's in my head, but i swear the external speakers on the replacement are significatly louder than my previous iPhone (purchased on iLaunch).

:confused:

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I bought a new iPhone on a Friday, took it home, and got the dreaded SIM card not present (or something like that) error. I took it back on Monday, they said that it could be the SIM card (which they didn't have) or the phone (which they did have), and they gave me a new unopened iPhone to replace it. Worked great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.