Genius Bar Response to Stuck Pixel & Light Bleeding

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JasonHiccup, Mar 13, 2011.

1. JasonHiccup macrumors member

Today, after visiting the Genius Bar for my iPad 2 I presented my iPad which had two areas of pretty bad light drainage and a single green stuck pixel that was off to the side of the screen.

What I found interesting is that he told me that the light drainage was normal, but is ordered a replacement iPad due to the stuck pixel. He even showed me 3 demo iPads with the same light leak.

Overall, I'm getting a replacement so I'm satisfied. I just thought the response was unusual.

How has everyone else's experiences gone? Anyone NOT displaying the light leak issue in dark room lighting?

2. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Ask him if the iPads without light leakage are broken

3. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Is the replacement being shipped to your house? I also have a stuck pixel but the closest apple store is an hour away and I wanna minimize my trips.

4. gigaguy macrumors 65816

5. JasonHiccup thread starter macrumors member

No, however I mentioned that I'd like to hold on to my iPad while I wait.

6. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Definitely. I wonder if best buy will do exchanges?

7. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

I have an appointment at 930 am and they will be switching both out. I have been told replacements are in. My first gen had this same issue and took 2 returns until right. I have no problem staying at apple all morning until I receive units without/less of a bleed. A quarter up the screen is un acceptable when viewing movies or other dark games.

8. JasonHiccup thread starter macrumors member

They should on any of their defective products.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Ahhh, I see ..... if they're all messed up it's okay. [​IMG]

10. erure macrumors regular

I purchased the first gen iPad and it had severe light bleeding, but the geniuses refused to exchange it so I ended up returning it and eating the restocking fee. The iPad 2 I have has some light bleeding and it's annoying but I wonder if it's even worth trying to get an exchange :(

11. baummer macrumors 6502a

Not sure I am liking that Genius' are essentially referring to it as a feature by showing you other examples of it. If anything, it clearly shows there is a manufacturing defect somewhere along the line.

12. Virtute macrumors member

Hahah, yes. Someone with a perfect screen, please book a Genius appointment to express your concern that your iPad "is not leaking those awesome lights from the edges of the screen. All my friends' iPads do it, and I was told that they're all supposed to. I was just hoping that mine could be fixed."

13. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

Well the upside is Apple Nixed the Restocking Fee not too long after Best Buy did...

I know if I go in next week and they start giving me crap about not replacing it, I'll just return it and wait a few weeks to rebuy hoping they managed to resolve the issue by then...

14. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104