Genius bar service question ..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MNR, Feb 27, 2016.

1. MNR macrumors regular

Hi,

I went to the Apple store to replace the screen of my 15 inch rMBP late 2013. The screen coating is peeling and can be replaced by a special Apple program, even after the warranty period (famous staingate issue).
    Otherwise, the machine works perfectly and I have no functional issues with it.
    The person at the genius bar recognized the screen problem and said it will be fixed for free, under the program, in 48 hours. 2 days later another person called me telling me there was "extensive liquide damage" to the machine and if I want it to be repaired I need to pay $1250. First I was really stunned and surprised thinking my machine was "dead". When I picked up the machine I had no explanations, the guy ( I suspect the same than the phone call) just said "liquid damages" and they can't repair on site and I was also "loosing" my warranty ... on an already out of warranty machine.
    The machine still works great by the way an I don't see why I should "fix" for $1250 a working rMBP. That person was rude and didn't provide me a lot of informations. and 2 days after I received an email from Apple stating that I refused to process a $0 reparation on my machine ... which is completely untrue, I refused to pay the $1250 reparation fee announced by phone.

At home, I opened my rMBP and yes, there was a small "brown stain" the back of the bottom cover, nothing else noticeable in the internal components. With a napkin I was able to easily remove that cover brown stain.

Anyway, I would like to try my chance again and have another opinion. I want to take another appointment in another Apple store.
    I was wondering if it will be worth my time and if the geniuses will be "impartial" and processing the rMBP from the start or just look at the possible file record history and decide not take the machine for repair or ask me to pay the $1250 for the "liquid damage" reparation.

Has anyone be in a similar situation, disagreeing with the repair report and tried their luck in another Apple Store?

Thanks,
    M

2. Alexrat1996 Suspended

contact apple care send out for repairs or try different store

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

4. MNR thread starter macrumors regular

I guess that there was a small spill since a small brownish stain was in the back of the bottom cover. I was able to remove that stain easily with a humid cotton swab. But I can't remembered when did this spill happen.
    I have a Genius Bar appointment today. Let's see what will happen.
    Thanks,