Genius Bar Situation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macdude2010, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Macdude2010, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

So today (Feb 14th) I went in to the apple store to get my 4S replaced for a dead pixel, and my MacBooks Battery had a problem. So the Macbook was fixed and they bring out a replacement phone and it was all fine, i put it in my case and was on my way, now I get home to clean it (some fingerprints on the back (camera hole) and on the Steel Band. Now I notice these huge scratches running down the right side of the steel band, this is terrible for a $950 phone (I payed for the 64GB with AppleCare+). I called and they put my old phone on hold to hopefully get my phone (unfortunately with a dead pixel) back tomorrow. Then maybe ill try again later. Very disappointed with quality control on new and replacements. Its making me really angry at the moment. Is this even acceptable?

Edit/Update: I did examine the phone before I left and everything checked out in the store, i might have seen something but I thought it was fingerprints and it seemed to wipe right off in the store (probably the light didn't catch on to it to make me fully aware, this one also has the loud vibrator (which i was going to live with) and i noticed later at night, a piece of dust under the screen. All of these problems didn't show up in the store (15 min of examining) before i signed. This unfortunately is a big problem, as a direct response to another post, I have the replacement they offered me today, they have my original one at their store which i am going to get tomorrow (or if they have any more in stock, none today, might try my luck at another replacement)

Well i have just discovered that this phone does not make ANY calls, it automatically puts me on speaker and there is no audio, well this sucks

Attached Files:

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

As you should have been made aware by the dead pixel, problems happen and sometimes bad products get through the lines.

You could have saved yourself a trip had you simply examined the phone before leaving the store.

Not that it's nearly the huge deal you make it out to be... you'll go there tomorrow, they'll offer you your old phone back or another replacement.

Where's the situation?

3. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

That sucks bud, hopefully they can get you a replacement that is not damaged.

QC is a big thing for Apple, so they hopefully won't have this happen again, best bet is to thoroughly examine the replacement before signing the paperwork so they can grab another one and save hassle if needed.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You're in an unlucky minority, unfortunately.

5. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

A $950+ phone and I wouldn't have waited until I got home to see any scratches on it. I would have seen them right there and then.

How did the scratches get on it? Nobody knows. I got kinda lost in the story about whether or not the phone you have now is the replacement phone and not your actual phone. Are you getting that back or something?

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

7. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

If it was given to you like that, it was just a fluke. Go back and get another one and you learned to take a look next time.

8. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I did examine the phone before I left and everything checked out in the store, i might have seen something but I thought it was fingerprints and it seemed to wipe right off in the store (probably the light didn't catch on to it to make me fully aware, this one also has the loud vibrator (which i was going to live with) and i noticed later at night, a piece of dust under the screen. All of these problems didn't show up in the store (15 min of examining) before i signed. This unfortunately is a big problem, as a direct response to another post, I have the replacement they offered me today, they have my original one at their store which i am going to get tomorrow (or if they have any more in stock, none today, might try my luck at another replacement)

----------

another thing came up, i can't make outgoing calls without it switching to speakerphone by itself

9. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

The replacement phone is temporary right? You have to bring it back to the store? So why would you be worried about that?

10. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

The scratches wouldn't bother me as much as the dead pixel. You'll prob use a case anyway so is it really worth it?

11. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Well i have just discovered that this phone does not make outbound calls, it automatically puts me on speaker and there is no audio, well this sucks

12. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

This is rare but it does happen from time to time. I think apple is great with their warranty service. I trust them but I examine any new product I buy or get replaced if I can. Once I got my iPhone replaced, examined it and found a long scratch underneath the glass...they replaced it once again and made sure that the other one was good.

13. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Going back for my original (or another replacement) today, hopefully i get a good one in the end

14. camardelle macrumors 6502

Your replacement should not have issues. Keep us posted on what happens if you would. Good luck!

15. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I sure hope that will be the case, keep everyone posted

16. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

OP: If your replacement phone has more problems then just take that back and get another replacement. You did mention about dust being under the screen, can't make a call, those warrant a replacement. As for the steel band being scratched, I would tell them that when you replaced the phone that you got it this way and that you didn't pay attention when you got it.

Hoping that you will get the right genius this time, I'm sure they will believe you.

Likewise, even if you had a dead pixel in your phone, you should have kept the phone, because it is possible that even the replacement units can be hit or miss (worse or better).

17. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Screw that! I wouldn't settle for any dead pixels. A unit with dead pixel has a defective display and should be replaced.

18. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I am not settling for dead pixels, I just want a phone that works, then I will replace for dead pixels, I first get my original back, and then replace again

19. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You can't get your original back. Once they replace it, they have to send the old one to Apple to be refurbished. You'll probably end up getting another replacement.

20. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

As the above mentioned, I wouldn't worry about getting your old one back and then going to the process of replacing it again. You can just replace the one you have now (the one you replaced). I don't see why you would want to get your old one back and then redo it again??

21. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I can get my original back, I called before they sent them out and they put my original aside for me to pick up today, but it they have another replacement (the badly damaged one was the only one left yesterday) I might take it

----------

Another update: won't work for calls at all, I just hear myself echo

22. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Update: Went to the apple store today, they were amazed at what had happened (going to engineering.) They brought out a new phone to me that when i set it up, noticed there was a dead pixel, so they got my original one from the back that they found and gave it to me. So now I have my original one that i purchased back in October, going to a different store in the future to try my luck there.