Genius Bar support questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDimichino, Jul 11, 2008.

1. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I have two issues. I am looking for people that have had experience in these fields and could possibly offer advice on whether I should make the appointment and follow through with Apple Geniuses.

1) My MacBook's screen flickers a bit for several minutes when first turned on or brought out of sleep mode. It is about 13 months old and it just began about a month ago. What would the Apple Geniuses be able to do about this? Is there an easy solution?

2) I have a 4GB iPhone and I would really like to get an 8 or 16GB. Obviously this was just wishful thinking until I dropped my iPhone today for the first time in nearly a year and it got a really ugly scratch from the concrete. Would it be possible to trade in my 4GB and get an 8 or 16GB? I've heard of people getting refurbished phones for like $250 or something, is that my only option? Also, do the Apple stores even have first generation iPhones anymore?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

With regard to the screen flickers, if it's just waking up, it could be the ambient light detector rapidly adjusting the display. If is happening randomly most of the time, then a lot of times, it means that it needs a new display invertor (common issue).

As for refurb iPhyones, they'd be listed here if any were available from Apple online:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...a/wa/RSLID?sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY&nclm=EE08B570

You can probably get a good deal on ebay or craigslist though.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

1) The geniuses will happily look at your macbook and diagnose the problem, setting up a replacement or repair if necessary. However, you say your Macbook is 13 months old. If you didn't get Applecare, you will likely be paying for it.

2) Apple's not going to do any trade-ins for your 4GB, damaged or not. The 4GBs have been discontinued since October so your way past and return dates and drops aren't covered by warranty (I guess you could ask nicely, or just pay for a repair). I don't think they're selling refurbs anymore of the 1 gen. phone. So you'd be stuck with getting a 3G (though they do come in cheaper than $250)

4. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

What's the damage on one of those?

5. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

As in, if the warranty's expired? Sorry, don't know.

6. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Thanks for the quick response.

I guess the warrantee is one year. It sucks because it happened like right at the one year mark. It's not a huge deal, it just seems like its a precursor of things to come and its making me worry a bit.

7. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I wanted the 3G obviously, but mainly just because of the larger memory though. Thanks for your help.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just sell your 4GB and purchase the new 3G iPhone for $199/$299 8GB/16GB, as for the MB, take it in to the Apple Store and they should give some advice on the problem...:cool: