Genius Bar swap - accessories

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Samtb, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

Are lightning cables and other accessories swapped at the Genius Bar refurbished cables?

2. corys00 macrumors regular

I've never asked and they've never looked used. How does one necessarily refurbish a cable?

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Would it matter anyway? It's not like an iPhone that has many different parts to make it work. It is just a cable.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've actually had them open a retail package and swap them. Typically they have white box ones though. I'm not sure if those are new or refurbished. I am sure that it doesn't really matter to me.

5. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

No. You can't refurbish a cable.

7. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

They are not refurbished. They are in non-retail packages. Be prepared for them to say you broke it, you didn't unplug it correctly, etc.

8. blue-bear macrumors member

they said that to me today, however still swapped it for me in the end.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I got no luck in the Store incidentally, after they accused me that it was all my fault...

Went onto their online chat, uploaded a photo and they sent a new cable out right away after. Just wish the service was consistent!

10. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

I have had similer experiences with Apple stores. I have 9 within a reasonable drive but always get mixed results.

11. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Took two cables in with shorts. Never abused, used correctly. Jerk Genius said " you pull these out holding the cord don't you? You twirl the device around while plugged in, don't you? You keep the cord bent at 90 degree angle because you lay in bed while it's charging, don't you?" I said no to all of them. It's a bad cable, stop trying to place the blame on the user, it reflects poorly on the company that currently employs you. He returned with two new cables and was really crappy about it.

Don't take any flack from these guys.

12. m3nphls macrumors member

The times I've had it swapped were no questions ask and I was in and out in less than 2 min. I recently had a cable from my iphone 5 go bad but because I had upgraded to a 5S and still under warranty, they just used the 5S in warranty status w/o knowing.