Genius Bar UK - iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mandos01, Apr 5, 2011.

1. mandos01 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have had my iPhone 3GS since September 2009 and have recently been noticing that the battery is dying far quicker than it has in the past. For example the other night I had it charged to 100% before i went to sleep at 11.30pm, got up in the morning and with no use overnight, the battery was down to 68%. I made a couple of calls, browsed the internet and 2 hours after I had woken up the battery was down to 25%.

I know I am out of warranty, and I am planning to hold out for the iPhone 5 anyway, but do you think that the Genius Bar would be willing to replace my 3GS due to the lack of battery life. I don't want to waste their or my time if it is unlikely they will be able to do anything.

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Apple will most likely replace it with a brand new one with an out of warranty replacement for your equivalent of $199. It doesn't hurt to bring it into Apple to see what the genuii will do.

3. mandos01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I thought that might be the case, I believe they charge £140 for an out of warranty replacement, works out to be about $230 I think? UK getting ripped off again.

I was just wondering whether anyone else had the same kind of experience and the genius bar was kind enough to replace without the charge, I don't really want to spend that much when there could be a new iPhone out within a couple months

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

$199 is ex VAT. As we have 20% VAT the price should be $240. So it's actually cheaper in the UK. Time to wind down that indignation.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Surely you could just use the £55 Battery Replacement service?

They'd swap your phone for a refurbished one with a replacement battery.

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Give it a try. I just returned from my appt with an OLD 3G thats been out of warranty for 10 months. They said if it was 4 months earlier to where it was only 6 months out of warranty, they would have replaced it.

7. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

+1 my West Country friend.