Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wernda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Hello,

my iPhone 6s (IOS 9.0.2) has stopped charging. I have tried 3 differed cables 1 x official and 2 x Anker MIFI cerified.

It was charging in the wall socket and it stated cable not recognised etc. Took the cable out and it has black marks on the gold connectors!

Problem is I can't remove the jailbreak, my PC won't recognise the phone (unrecognised USB Device)

What options do I have people :) I have 53% battery life left. I am thinking if I force DFU mode, I obviously would not be able to restore it, now I am not 100% sure here, but does DFU mode produce the Itunes Symbol on the screen? and Would Apple be able to tell its Jailbroken, if the device is DFU mode?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Andrew

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Let it die, sounds like something hardware related from the marks, like a short..... If it's dead, and they can't power it up, you win..... If you put it in dfu, and they somehow get it to recognize the device, they'll / you'll still be prompted by iTunes to restore, which will force them/ you to update the device killing the jailbreak before it comes back up on the new firmware. Someone may correct me. But those are my thoughts.

Option: if you're just trying to pull off a fast one and know or are hoping for a replacement, you could go into the file system with ifile and delete critical system files, after you reboot it, it would be completely trashed.

Again, these are just some quick suggestions right off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Wernda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Thanks for the reply.

That was my thoughts too. I have just tried another computer, again I get "Windows cannot recognise this USB device, plug it in again, if it fails, try replacing the device") :)

Someone suggested trying the 1970 bug, but before the fix came out, the workaround was to drop another sim in it and it bypassed the bug.

So are you saying DFU mode or let it lose power gracefully?

Cheers

Andrew

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
DFU mode will force them to restore, negating the JB..... I can't recall if you can get a device out of DFU with a hard reset, but if so, they see the JB..... Let it die, and they somehow get it back up, they'll see the JB. Use iFile and start wiping stuff out and you'll trash the device so bad they'll never get into it. As long as you bring the 'burnt cable' in with you, they'll assume it shorted and is hardware related and go right into replacement options. What's your real goal? To take the phone in, have them try cables and restores until they fix it or dub it as trash? I'd be trying to bring it in as bad as I could get it..... By wiping out the OS with a file browser insuring they couldn't get in it.....

Wernda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
My goal, is to take the phone in and they fix the charging port without noticing the JB. I've tried three cables and the Q-tip tip to try and clear the port out.
here is the other issue the cable was an Anker one, not official per se but MIFI certified. Not sure if It s a good thing or bad thing to take the Anker cable. I have the original cable that I inserted after and that has ever so slight black marks on the cable.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Yeah, no, if they fix it, they'll find it for sure. It's just a matter of when, normally if they fix it first, then power it up and find it to be jailbroken you'll get it back along with some unkind words about it being jailbroken..... If they find out before its fixed they may deny repairs altogether...... That being said, you're gambling either way. Guess I'd run the battery down to like 10- 5%, then put it in DFU before it dies ( let it die while in DFU before taking it in) and cross your fingers, it will die while being in DFU mode, which means either way they'll need to restore it if they get it working.

Wernda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Sounds like a plan. Thanks, either way its a risk. From reading, if DFU mode has worked, the screen will just be black with no indication, in all intends and purposes it will be dead?

Not sure if I should take the Anker cable with me, may just take the official one.

(Anker cable still works on the wife's iphone)

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Like I said, run it down to 5% before putting it in DFU .... And wait awhile to insure it dies while its in DFU. DFU mode will prompt this screen until the phone times out or dies.....
e7f2bba328448ac68f1f11944d083f4c.jpg

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Sounds like a plan. Thanks, either way its a risk. From reading, if DFU mode has worked, the screen will just be black with no indication, in all intends and purposes it will be dead?

Not sure if I should take the Anker cable with me, may just take the official one.

(Anker cable still works on the wife's iphone)

Don't bring or mention the third party cable. They'll blame that

Wernda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Thanks StarkCity, you've been really helpful. I'll have a read up on how to action DFU Mode. When I visit tomorrow I'll explain it wouldn't charge and now won't turn on.

Wernda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Thanks, I'll give this a go at 5% battery left. I just hope they don't try and get out of replacing it!

I going to attempt to be a "Walk in" see if I can get an appointment. The Tech guy at Apple stated they accept walk in's so fingers crossed.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
True, I didn't think of that, buuuut that thwarts his attempts to retain it..... As does the DFU and die trick though I'm pretty sure, so yeah, that would technically be easier..... Kiss the JB goodbye 100% that way though...

Wernda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Ah, I am not worried about retaining the JB or content. Content I have backed up.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Why not reset all content and settings? That way it will be stuck at the apple logo boot screen. That will hide the jailbreak.
Exactly my thought.

It will hide the jailbreak because the boot files get screwed when doing this. The only option is a DFU restore and since the phone is screwed already (meaning the Erase and Install screwed it all up) there's really nothing for Apple to detect.
[doublepost=1457130639][/doublepost]
Hello,

my iPhone 6s (IOS 9.0.2) has stopped charging. I have tried 3 differed cables 1 x official and 2 x Anker MIFI cerified.

It was charging in the wall socket and it stated cable not recognised etc. Took the cable out and it has black marks on the gold connectors!

Problem is I can't remove the jailbreak, my PC won't recognise the phone (unrecognised USB Device)

What options do I have people :) I have 53% battery life left. I am thinking if I force DFU mode, I obviously would not be able to restore it, now I am not 100% sure here, but does DFU mode produce the Itunes Symbol on the screen? and Would Apple be able to tell its Jailbroken, if the device is DFU mode?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Andrew
Just so you are aware, because I assume you ask these questions based on the thought that Apple will deny you work on your device if they detect that it's jailbroken, Apple's policy on jailbroken devices has changed. The genius must now be able to prove that your jailbreak is what caused the problem before work will be denied to you.

The worst they will force on you is a restore. Which, given your situation…

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Here I am complicating things lol..... Resetting from settings is so taboo for jailbroken phones it never even popped into my head to offer that up as a solution. In this case, it's perfect for what needs to be accomplished

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Here I am complicating things lol..... Resetting from settings is so taboo for jailbroken phones it never even popped into my head to offer that up as a solution. In this case, it's perfect for what needs to be accomplished
LOL! Yeah. It's an elegant way to really screw things up. :D

Reactions: StarkCity

Wernda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Thanks all for your valid input. eyoungren I was asking these questions because that is what I thought, so thanks for clarifying that.

Starkcity not complicating things :)

I have now performed an "Erase all Content and Settings" it's been about fifteen minutes so far and I have the apple logo and progress bar (the progress bar is at the end)

is it worth restarting the phone?

Thanks

A
[doublepost=1457131486][/doublepost]Restarted, now its asking to be plugged into the mains :)

still won't charge. If they ask tomorrow, i'll say it must have run out of battery.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
You're now stuck...... Only way out is a DFU restore that you can't do because the device isn't being recognized...... Take it into Apple just like that.

Edit: you won't be lying.....because it's going to die soon...... Mention only that your stock apple charger came up unrecognized and the phone died.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
is it worth restarting the phone?
LOL.

You can restart it all you like. The bar won't move. It's stuck on the Apple logo and will remain stuck until a DFU mode restore is executed.

This is why we tell new jailbreakers to not do what we just told you to do. But in your case this was intentional.

Reactions: StarkCity

Wernda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
I thought that might have been the case in terms of the logo and the bar, just couldn't prove it as it wanted to be connected to charge.

I'll mention again the stock charger and the message. Just hope they see me now :)

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
It's not the same as your case, but I had shattered my screen and appointed Apple to repair it. All I did was hide my JB shown apps in a folder, then into another folder, unenabled JB settings, and restarted the phone with the volume up button held down until fully restarted, which made the springboard look as stock as a Buick Century (which means it looks boring). Apple fixed it, and never noticed or had a problem with repairs. Hope you have success.

Wernda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
A little update. It was replaced under warranty. There was charge going to the device but that was it. Didn't get any further. They suspect it was a fault internally. The phone was replaced.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
A little update. It was replaced under warranty. There was charge going to the device but that was it. Didn't get any further. They suspect it was a fault internally. The phone was replaced.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Nice, congrats on the new phone.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.