Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RamblinWreck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
I notice a difference in how Genius handles live songs between my Mac and my iPhone.

For example, when I create a Genius playlist using a live version of "Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin (Album: How the West Was Won) from within iTunes, this song is used as the first song of the Genius playlist.

However, when doing the same from my iPhone, Genius instead lists the studio version of the same song (Album: Led Zeppelin IV) and my live version is nowhere to be found.

Why would the iPhone behave this way? Anyone else noticed this issue?

Not the DJ

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
UK
Genius behavior for live tracks

I notice a difference in how Genius handles live songs between my Mac and my iPhone.

For example, when I create a Genius playlist using a live version of "Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin (Album: How the West Was Won) from within iTunes, this song is used as the first song of the Genius playlist.

However, when doing the same from my iPhone, Genius instead lists the studio version of the same song (Album: Led Zeppelin IV) and my live version is nowhere to be found.

Why would the iPhone behave this way? Anyone else noticed this issue?

I've noticed something similar, I've downloaded an iTunes Session by Stephen Fretwell, and also ripped in his albums. When I use a track from his album as a genius first song (on my iPod Classic) it defaults to the live version.

Also I'm suspecting genius searchs albums alphabetically, as every time it trys to include a Led Zeppelin track it takes it from the BBC sessions Live album, not the studio albums. I've noticed the same with some other artists as well if I've got different versions of the same some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.