Genius claims water damage, obvious hardware issue. Any advice on my 2nd visit?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DrDurdon, Apr 20, 2009.

1. DrDurdon macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My Volume Down button isn't functioning properly anymore. You have to press it insanely hard for it to move, and even then it only moves one or two hash marks down. It's a huge pain to turn down the ringer, and impossible to do while talking to someone without asking them to hold on.

I took it to a genius and she got out her little flashlight/microscope. She was checking all the ports, then she said there was a sliver of green on one of the tines at the charge port. This is evidence of water damage, she says. She rubs it in by telling me if it weren't for that, she could've replaced my phone entireley. All for that slice of green.

I'm curious if I could take it to another genius to see what they have to say. I mean, we're talking a hardware problem, not software. And this phone has never been near water (I'm super meticulous about it, having cost my wife $600). Water damage wouldn't even cause a hardware issue like this. She even admitted that the Down button feels less solid than the Up button. And this is a G1 phone -- I'm not depleting their stock of amazing hardware.

Needless to say, I'm frustrated. I've got warranty for another 9 days. Any help is appreciated!

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Red

Look at this, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302

It says this "The Liquid Submersion Indicator is triggered when liquid enters the iPhone or iPod. The indicator will turn red or pink when the device has been submerged in liquid.

You can tell if the Liquid Submersion Indicator has been triggered by looking directly down into the headphone jack. Either use a lighted magnifying glass, or angle the iPhone or iPod so light shines down into the headphone jack. At the base of the headphone jack, you should see what is normally a white or silver colored dot. Half of the dot becomes red (or a pinkish color) when the device has been submerged in liquid. iPhone 3G models also have a Liquid Submersion Indicator located on the bottom of the connector housing, just under the 30-pin dock connector. To view the indicator, use a lighted magnifying glass and hold the iPhone 3G so that you can view the center bottom of the dock connector housing. A full or partial red dot will appear if the indicator has been triggered."

You said green. Bring it back and show her the link from Apple's site.