Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After a brief delay, Apple has activated the "Genius" feature for movies and TV shows in iTunes 8.1. It is not entirely clear when Apple flicked the switch, but it appears that reports of the activation date back to late last week.

Similar to the existing feature for music launched in iTunes 8.0, a user can select a movie or TV episode from their library and activate the Genius feature, which then displays recommendations for iTunes Store purchases based on their selection.

The expansion of the feature to movies and TV shows was revealed on Apple's site prior to the release of iTunes 8.1 and was also mentioned in the included release notes for the download, but readers quickly noticed that the feature was nowhere to be found. Following the release of iTunes 8.1, Apple quickly removed mentions of the feature from its iTunes pages, and they have yet to restore them despite activation of the feature.

Article Link: Genius Feature for Movies and TV Shows Activated in iTunes 8.1

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
For some weird reason I found iTunes to be a bit choppy on some of my movies. That's when I switched to VLC (Quicktime is just kinda... meh...) and have no problems. So is it just me with the choppy movies or anyone else experienced/experiencing such problems?

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
I figured this out yesterday, searched for a thread and turns out there was one from last week. Wonder why it took so long for everyone to figure it out.

Ah, I forgot, it's Tuesday.:D

winks360

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
Time Capsule
:confused: I don't have any problems with quicktime??
but I have herd that it is getting a upgrade with Snow Leopard :) maybe that will fix your problems...:rolleyes:

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
For some weird reason I found iTunes to be a bit choppy on some of my movies. That's when I switched to VLC (Quicktime is just kinda... meh...) and have no problems. So is it just me with the choppy movies or anyone else experienced/experiencing such problems?

With some codecs, yes its terrible. Same with Quicktime vs. VLC.

Embarrassing that free VLC is 10X better than Quicktime.

Yet where are VLC's encoding abilities? Sigh. :cool:

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006

It got better with the most recent update, but it's still way bad for HD stuff and is very unresponsive in general. I love XBMC for HD playback, no sync issues, no stuttering and it works pretty well with the apple remote, too. Plays pretty much every format, it's like Front Row on steroids. Highly recommended.

MacEdit

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
Other Genius Updates

Great... Movies...

what about updating the previou gen iPod classics to use genius playlist for music?

I thought they said they would update them? Kind of lame they haven't.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Great... Movies...

what about updating the previou gen iPod classics to use genius playlist for music?

They definitely did, and since then, nothing. Really ridiculous.

Instead, lets activate a feature to let Apple know all of tv shows and movies I didn't buy from them.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
It's still grayed out.

For me, though, it's not working.

The option is still grayed out even with 8.1 installed, and its under movies, and TV shows.

HOW DO I FIX IT!

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Great... Movies...

Yeah, I know what you mean. There's no reason it can't be updated via software... My guess is they want you to buy a new iPod for that feature. It's turned out to be a very profitable business policy for Apple so I'd say get used to it.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
Picture 2.png

This is what I get. It's not "working", but it's a start!

X38

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2007
All these iTunes movie store upgraded are nice, but when are they finally going to get the Star Wars movies already?!
Can something really be said to be a movie store if it doesn't sell Star Wars?

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
It's working for me, but I don't think I'll find much use for it. I only watch 2 tv shows and I'm not really interested in following others. It could be potentially useful for movies but I don't buy many movies from the iTunes store so I won't use it very much.

avionicsman

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Canuck Land!!
Genius Baby!!

I noticed it last weekend. interesting feature. i will download suggested movie from superfundo then convert via handbrake for my :apple:TV. Thanks apple!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Sadly I have to admit, Quicktime sucks. Any time I play a non-Apple codec, Quicktime stammers (even on my Octo Mac Pro). I have Flip4Mac installed, yet the only decent player is VLC.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Expect Genius for TV and Movies to hit AppleTV soon. (maybe an AppleTV update soon. something bigger than a x.x.1 release)

speaking of... is the Boxee update due today available yet? Do Hulu feeds still work?

Sorry, that was off topic.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
It uses the cnID number to identify what a movie is. Since Handbrake encodes do not have a cnID tag, they cannot be used by Genius for recommendations.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
It's working, but the recommendations are absolute rubbish. Much worse than genius for music.

Genius for Apps is probably coming next :Groan:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 154
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.