Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several MacRumors readers have pointed out that the extension of the iTunes "Genius" feature to include movies and TV shows does not appear to be present in iTunes 8.1. The feature was advertised on Apple's site prior to the release of iTunes 8.1 and is still mentioned in the release notes that accompany the download.

References to the updated Genius feature have been removed from the "iTunes A to Z" features page, and Apple has revised their "What's New" page, replacing the Genius section with details on the extension of Autofill to all iPods.

113221-itunes81_revised_500.png

The reason for the removal of the feature remains unknown, although it certainly appears that it was a last-minute decision.

Article Link: Genius Feature for TV and Movies Pulled From iTunes 8.1

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
Genius! :eek:

I wasn't going to use that feature anyway since I don't buy any videos through iTunes. It isn't for me.

If Apple would add a Netflix section that would be great. ;)

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Apple did something unusual by pre-announcing iTunes 8.1. And now they show why it's better not to.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
last minute pull, or more likely a miscommunication between PR and development groups. PR probably got an old copy of the feature list and published that on the website, but during testing (maybe as long as a week or two ago), the feature got pulled and the change was just never pushed up to PR.

I doubt the pull was made between yesterday morning and last night. No way the software could have been regression tested to ensure that pulling the feature didn't introduce any other issues.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I also have not seen the feature that was listed where version 8.1 will allow autofill on any iPod just like it does for the Shuffle.

DivineEvil

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Sorry for the offtopic, but is it me or the Windows version of iTunes 8.1 is way better in video playback than 8.0.x? The sluggishness is significantly less and it's seems to perform like a real media player... (only the various video file types support is missing :D)?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
has anyone tried setting their clocks forward a few weeks to see if the new features are something that is supposed to be unlocked like with other updates?

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
My guess is that the Genius stuff is in the code but the iPod/iPhone firmwares for those models that can create Genius playlists wasn't ready yet, and it'd look stupid to leave that so asymmetrical.

ux4all

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
Well that explains yesterdays delay....

And based on what we have read of Apple's development culture they probably did pull it one day before launch. This required a monster regression and UAT exercise (all hands on deck).

Someone rumored that 'stops like this are typically legal in nature'. I wonder if there is a patent specifically on what Genius does already in existence, so they pulled it to avoid legalities?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Remember when they pulled push? Sounds like the same thing. Broken promises. Over-announce, under-deliver.... seems to be their method lately.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't think I'll miss it.

Maybe it was pulled because too few users have enough videos/movies in their library to base good recommendations on anyway? Movie recommendations might be a nice "one more way" to browse the rentals, but I've got so few movies in my library anyway (I rent, not buy). I don't think I'd get good recommendations.

voodoofish

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
London
after install itunes 8.1 i noticed on the itunes store under TV Programmes (what TV Shows are called on the UK store) you could rate different TV seasons out of 5 stars - seemingly regardless of whether you have bought them or not. maybe this is part of the genius feature? i know music genius is based on how often people play different songs, but people tend to repeat listen to music far more than watch tv shows so maybe that is why the TV genius feature is different? or maybe the rating of tv programmes is completely unrelated?

EDIT: oh i see they let you do this for albums as well so it's probably a completely unrelated feature, sorry!

tiguk

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
UK
I do love :apple: products, but this sort of farce really annoys me. It's not so much the pulling of a promised feature (again), but the complete lack of honesty and explanation to their customer base.

What's the harm in letting everyone know what's going on, and when it'll be rectified? They would have a lot fewer complaints if they let everyone know the score.

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
My guess is that the Genius stuff is in the code but the iPod/iPhone firmwares for those models that can create Genius playlists wasn't ready yet, and it'd look stupid to leave that so asymmetrical.

Why does everyone seem to think 'Genius for TV shows' means Genius PLAYLISTS - surely it means genius sidebar for the store? If that's the case, they'd not put it on the iPhone unless they were introducing tv purchases on the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.