Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Hi there,

Let me quickly fill you it. Took iPhone 3GS to get fixed at Genius Bar, all great...got replacement phone. Since Friday I've been having trouble with the battery. Getting stuck at certain percentages (eg. 99% for 5 hours!), dropping percentages (eg. 56% down to 16% after CHARGING!), and percentages rising! (eg. 16% to 46%, 83% to 93%)

I have tried calibrating the battery but the phone just seems to still be confused with itself! However there is also another problem! My iPhone will keep turning off. This is the 5th time it's happened within two days. I can be just leaving it on standby or even have it plugged into iTunes and the phone just turns off completely. It is easily restarted by just holding the Sleep/Wake button for a second or two. So I have now decided to make yet another visit to the Apple Store for what will possibly be my 5th iPhone replacement :eek: So here is my question that I hope some of you will help me with:

How will I prove that this is actually happen? Theres nothing I can do to trigger it turning off (except actually turn it off :D) & I'm sure they don't have the time to sit around and wait for it to happen again. So what can I gather as evidence as the end-user to help demonstrate my problem, or Will the Genius just have to plug it in and gather information from my phone. I know they have special software and such ;)

Please reply as soon as possible, It will be greatly appreciated as I plan to make an appointment for tomorrow or the day after.

Thank you :)

gouda272

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Just go and explain it to them, especially if you just got that replacement. i'm sure you won't be the first one to have to return a refurb phone. i'd also be kinda pissed that you keep having issues. i thought i read somewhere else that after going thru more than 3 refurb phones they might possibly give you a new one if you ask.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Firstly, don't bump your own thread. Its against the rules, especially within an hour of the OP.

Secondly, if it is random then it will be hard to reproduce. Hopefully their diagnostic tool will find this information. That's if it is captured.

When I had an iPhone replaced, they only looked at information about uptime and dropped calls, so you might have to ask them to tick the extra boxes to capture this information

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
sorry! won't do it again :)

Yeah, Hopefully they can pick up on the problem! The phones working absolutely fine! Ive never had a problem with calls dropping. I've been using the phone fine the last few hours but it's happened 4-5 times since a got it on friday.

I'll leave my phone alone again and see if it does it again. Have rescheduled appointment for today! so i'll see what they say :)

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Don't restore your phone before taking it in.

That would erase any logs (the diagnostic tool reported 0 for both the statistics on the iPhone we had replaced because I restored it)

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
Firstly, don't bump your own thread. Its against the rules, especially within an hour of the OP.

pretty much the reason no one wants to help you

even the 13-14 year olds on this forum have more forum etiquette not to bump their own thread within an hour

the only thing youve describe as weird is the battery going from 46-16% after charging, everything else is pretty normal

where you downloading/playing a game while the phone was charging ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.