Genius installed Leopard on my IMAC with Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sambonini, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Sambonini macrumors newbie

Hello. I really hope someone can give me some advice on what I should do with my newly serviced iMac. I have had the MAC since 2006 and had no issues with it. The computer had OSX Tiger on it and I was very happy with it. The MAC is an Intel based MAC with 1GB of RAM, 160GB HD, Leopard 10.5.5.

About a Month ago my hard drive crashed. Could not recover it, or fix it. Had my applecare warranty still intact so went ahead and took the computer in. Genius folks checked it out and said they would need to replace the HD. No problems as I had backed up my data using Superduper. Got my computer back and behold....it has Leopard installed on it with all my data recovered. I was surprised and also a bit excited to have the new OSX. As I begun to use the system as regularly i did, I noticed 2 significant changes over the computer I originally took in.

1. System was running signficantly slower. Almost seeing 10 seconds of hang for opening applications and approx 30 seconds of hang at times during application use.
    2. Hard drive makes a lot of noise during write process (which is going on all the time). During even internet browsing, the hard drive is constantly writing. Noise is loud enough to hear it even a few feet away from the computer.

What I wanted to find out from the folks on this forum is what your thoughts are? Should I take it back to Apple and ask them to put my Tiger OSX back on? (already called the store and they said it is not regular operating procedure to upgrade the OS. May have been needed or a mistake. When I asked for new start up disc's they said I had to buy the OS. I was a bit annoyed by this response as I did not ask for the upgrade). Or is my issue more the new hard drive and should i take it back to apple for the noise and slowness due to this?

I thank you in advance for your help on this. Please let me know if there are any specifics to my case that may help in your advice. I'll provide the details as soon as I can get them.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well to make it run better, just buy some ram (pretty cheap these days)

or hust restore from your system disks that you have and restore from your super duper image

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

I'm surprised that things are slower for you. I'm sorry to hear that. My old G5 Dual 1.5GHZ skyrocketed in performance when I upgraded to Leopard. ( I have 3.5 GB of memory though )

I know memory upgrade is probably not what you want to hear, but you can upgrade an the older Intel iMacs to 2GB (2x1GB ) for around $35-40.
    ( I like crucial.com myself )

Exactly which model iMac do you have? What's the video card in it?
    What is the model of harddrive you have?

( You can get all of this from the system information button on the "About this Mac" )

Also, use the "Activity Monitor" tool to look at your System memory usage when you start to hear the harddrive grind away....
    then report back all the memory information at the bottom of the window:

Wired, Active, Inactive, Used, Free, VM Size, and Page ins/outs

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

5. durija macrumors 6502

You're never going to be happy with that noisy drive. If you're noticing it that much, something is probably wrong. Take it back on that basis alone.

Then, ask for new install disks to reflect the current Leopard OS, or for them to restore it to Tiger which was working nicely for you. I think you hold all the cards here. Bad replacement drive and bogus upgrade on Apple's part.

6. Sambonini thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers thus far. I really appreciate it. Sounds like I need to look at perhaps replacing the Memory and also maybe take it back into apple to show my displeasure on the noisy hard drive & leopard upgrade.

huntercr, I'll get the data when I get back home tonight and post them when I get them.

7. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Take it back, BEFORE you update ram. Let them look it over. If you do ANY thing to it, they could say you did something. Get the drive issue fixed first. It may change the problems. Also, was your system running ok prior to the crash? If it was, then there is another issue to address before the Ram is upgraded.

8. Sambonini thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I'll be making the appointment to take the computer back before I touch anything on it. Will update the forum once I have any update.