Genius + iTunes Match

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RoboCop001, Jun 26, 2011.

1. RoboCop001, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Let's say you wanted to create a Genius playlist based on a song that's currently on your iOS device. The Genius playlist would not only search for songs on your iOS device, but would also be able to download songs from iCloud for that Genius playlist. Or perhaps you could create start a Genius playlist from a song on iCloud as well.

What are your thoughts on this?

I think this would make iTunes Match much more appealing too. At least for me.

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Huh?

iTunes Match scans your current music that you have on your computer and converts it to iTunes "legit" copies. I'm not sure what Genius has to do with this.

3. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I think the OP means that if you have a song in the cloud from iTunes match, but not on your device, and you make a genius playlist, the playlist could pull the song down from the cloud if it thought it fit...

would be pretty cool but I doubt theyd do it

4. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

That makes more sense. Yes I'd be interested in that.

5. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah that's what I meant lol.

I edited my original post for clarity now.

I really hope they implement this, but like you said it's doubtful.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wouldn't it be easier to just store all your music locally? I'm not sure I see the benefit of being able to download my music to make a playlist and tax my data, battery, and the general wait for getting music that I already own.

7. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Not if you have a huge library and lots of Apps and use your camera a lot and have a 16GB iPhone haha.

Personally I was able to snag a 6GB data plan when Rogers offered it at first. I guess for people with a 1GB data plan and below it wouldn't be a great idea, but you do have the WiFi option too.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Not when you have a 90+GB music library alone and a 32GB phone either....but that's my point, they should be focusing on increasing internal storage rather than the cloud.

9. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's true, it would be great to have a 100+GB iPhone. It's probably because that type of storage is still pretty expensive, unless I'm mistaken. Someone correct me on that if I am. Space constraints obviously too.

But wouldn't it still be good to at least have this option with Genius? :D haha

10. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Ohhh now I get it. Yeah I dig it :)

Even better, if it could recommend songs from the same artist and whatnot, as Genius does, and offer to let you check to see if you have them for Matching before you get all excited and go buying them from iTunes.