Genius on 2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDimichino, Sep 11, 2008.

1. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I don't know if anyone really cares, but I think "Genius" is crap but the screen shot of the new Touch has the little Genius logo, so one would assume it will be on the iPhone firmware which is coming out tomorrow apparently.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/gallery/#image3

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's expected.

3. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Alright well egg on my face then, did a search and nothing came up.

4. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

i really enjoy the genius feature both on itunes 8 for the mac and my ipod touch, i think when more and more people use it, it will get better and better

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

For the most part, Apple isn't going to include something in the iPod touch firmware and then leave it out of the iPhone firmware since they are so reliant upon each other.

6. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Like the Nike+ feature, right?

7. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Yes, I know that, hence the existance of this thread.

8. Linuss macrumors regular

Funny, last I checked Nike+ was hardware and not just software.

9. barryallott macrumors member

I hate the name 'Genius' I mean, its not exacly a revolutionary idea!

You send all your music list to apple, who then look at other peoples playlists (which they have uploaded) to see which songs go together.

Not so much Genius but simply using user data. Which I dont like the idea of all of what I have in music stored on a server somewhere.

10. barryallott macrumors member

True but the firmware needs to be able to talk to the bluetooth chip correctly to be able to talk to the external device. meaning things on the ipod touch firmware that are not on the iphone

and before any1 cries WOLF at me stating that its a bluetooth chip - read - Bluetooth in the iPhone !!! AGAIN???? u bet its LOCKED DOWN!!!

11. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Exactly...the harware exists but the software is not available for the iPhone like it is the touch. So that is funny but on a laughing on the inside level.

12. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

It may not work now, but maybe that was the "special" feature on the 2.1 firmware for the iPhone.

13. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Funny, last I checked Nike+ used a Broadcom BCM4325 Bluetooth 2.1 chip on the iPod Touch.

14. MacCobbler macrumors newbie

Why? All stats are sent completely anonymously. And yes, of course its a relatively simple database, this isn't Star Trek.

I actually like Genius. I dont know about anyone else, but I'm quite often not sure what to listen to, which is part of the problem of having over 7k songs. Genius never seems to fail to bring up a very varied, albeit matched playlist.

Great stuff!

15. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Exactly - I'm looking forward to Genius on my iPhone for this very reason.

I LOVE listening to songs on shuffle mode -- but most times the songs that get shuffled really don't go together well at all (I have pretty varied tastes, and when Morrissey is followed by Nine Inch Nails, well...it's just not right). So Genius offers the best of both worlds -- it's random enough so that you don't know what you're getting, but it's also controlled enough that you're ensured a well-built playlist of songs that work well together.

16. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I noticed that it has been changing suggestions for the better imo over the last couple of day's. Seems to be learning as more people d/l iTunes 8 and send in their info.

17. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Moz + NIN = a great playlist.

18. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Genius has been working fine for me! I quite like the idea to stump through my quite large library and get the old songs I haven't listened in quite a while back up!

P.S.: The Genius will make way in iPhone 2.1-guaranteed by Apple!
    Nike+ is an ongoing debate if Apple can mod he current bluetooth chipset in iPhones to achieve the same!

19. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Exactly why I really like the feature. When I have a Bach sonata following Gnarls Barkley, it's a little jarring. ;)

I'm looking forward to using it on the iPhone, but I wish it were available on my 5.5gen iPod too :(.

20. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

I just used Genius this morning for the first time and was impressed by the results. It instantly created a playlist of songs that worked well together and included some I had forgotten I had. It's great for when I'm too lazy to make a playlist myself or when I'm pressed for time, such as before a dinner party and guests are almost there.

21. barryallott macrumors member

anonymously! anonymously! i hear you say, why then OH why do you need to be signed in to send the information to apple. they say anonymously and it prob is until some government agency says give us the data.

22. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Don't want them finding your Britney Spears collection ;)... anyway its your choice to use it or not.

23. stevearm macrumors 6502a

You don't HAVE to use Genius if you don't want. You can turn it off both on iTunes and on the iPhone/Touch

24. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I've used Genius on Itunes 8, but I don't understand how you would use it on the IPhone itself. Is this just giving you the option to create playlists from the Iphone as opposed to doing it from your PC or Mac?

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Bingo. You're my new thought-friend.