Genius only available trough iTunes Store with credit card information?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sra. Aguirre, Sep 18, 2008.

1. sra. Aguirre macrumors regular

sra. Aguirre

I have not yet purchased anything trough the iTunes store because I buy my cd's and import them into iTunes.:D (ok yeah I OCASIONALLY do download a song or two)

Now I so much want to turn on that fabulous Genius function in the new iTunes 8. BUT YOU NEED TO ACCESS THE STORE FIRST, I thought this was a free service, like the podcasts?? why o why do I need to give my credit card info to turn it on?

Anybody able to help me with information? Can I turn this Genius function on without all that credit card crap??

Thanks in advance!

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Yes it's free. No, you can't turn it on without some form I'd payment arrangement.

Mine goes through my PayPal account, I think.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't have an answer to your question, but might i ask why, if you "OCASIONALLY do download a song or two," your credit card (or some other payment method) isn't on file?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can also setup an account with just an iTunes gift card.

5. svndmvn Guest

try this..try downloading a free app from the app store,it will ask you to create an account,you can then choose "none" as a payment form

6. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I think you can skip the card details part of the account set-up if you want to. If not just make up a number if you're not planning to purchase anything.

7. sra. Aguirre thread starter macrumors regular

sra. Aguirre

First of all, thanks everybody for your replies! I will try downloading a free app and do the "payment none" svndmn suggests.

And Pianoman....I try to buy the music I have as much as I can but I do not buy it online, with occasionally downloading of course I meant using programs such as limewire, torrents and so on....

am out of here, got to try the genius thing out right away!;)

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

What about if You live in a country which can not access the iTunes store.
    I am Dutch and live in Indonesia,it is available in The Netherlands but not here in Indonesia.
    Now,what about that.
    Apple,why You have to sell almost everything now,can't You make such features free!!!!! and accessible to all!!!!!
    Cheers

9. sra. Aguirre thread starter macrumors regular

sra. Aguirre

helemaal mee eens!
    I tried every way I could, but without credit card info there's no way to get into the Genius feauture......tedious tedious tedious.....hope they do something about it,.......similar to the podcasts........

10. chedda macrumors 6502

it Can Be Done

I recently came across this stumbling block. However after some research and google i discovered that it's possible you just need to redeem a free code and opt for payment none provide iffy US address and telephone & zip voila Genius up n running. Try to google free itunes account.

11. sra. Aguirre thread starter macrumors regular

sra. Aguirre

YOU MY FRIEND ARE AN ABSOLUTE GENIUS!!!!!!!!!! WORKING!!!!
    :D:cool::apple:

12. helper123 macrumors newbie

Genius

No to get Genius only cost's you 79p thats all. I dont know why to have to enter you detials you just do.

Hope this helps