genius playlist alternatives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dork420, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dork420 macrumors regular

hello all

I have a lot of music and I don't want to send off all my info to apple in order to use their genius playlist function. I am just very private and try to keep access to my life at a minimum.

So is there a plug-in or program that can suggest playlists based off of my library exclusively? I have a ton of music and it would be a great way to rediscover some of my music.

thanks

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You do realize you're not sending anything of significance to iTunes when you enable Genius, right? Just a list of the songs you have along with the playlists you've organized them into? You don't even have your iTunes ID tagged with it, as far as I understand it.

As far as other programs go, I'm not aware of any, although it would be possible if someone were to try, since all of that information is stored in the iTunes Music Library.xml file.

jW

3. dork420 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the response however, just because they say it's secure doesn't mean it won't get exploited. Think about credit card fraud, identity theft, etc. They always say it's secure.

Call me an old man but I am resistant to the cloud. Just doesn't sit well with me.

Does anyone else know of a program?
    how about tangerine?
    http://www.potionfactory.com/tangerine/