Genius Playlists Are Not Enabled

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PeteB, Sep 14, 2008.

1. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

Ok, maybe I'm missing something fundamental here.

I expect that when I press the genius button on a song on the Ipod, it'll suggest a playlist like it does in Tunes.

The problem is when I do that, I'm told that "Genius playlists are not enabled. Use iTunes to enable Genius Playlists."

As far as I'm aware, I've enabled Genius in iTunes. How can I get the iPod to use them also??

I've attempted to disable Genius, then enable it, and then force the update. All that seems to work, but it doesn't seem to be getting to the iPod. I'm getting error 13213 errors on syncing.

2. bildio macrumors regular

I select Music, Playlist, & Genius (at top of Playlists). Then I touch a song, & it either creates a list of related songs, or says that it can't.

3. PeteB thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeteB

Thanks. I guess it should work that way, but it doesn't do that for me. I'm just being told that I need to enable Genius.

4. bildio macrumors regular

5. PeteB thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeteB

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I had this problem too, what I did was turn Genius off in iTunes, restart iTunes, sync my iPod, restart iTunes again and then turn Genius on again, once Genius fully turns on (when you get the message), restart iTunes again and then sync your iPod. It might take doing these steps several times before it fully works.

7. bildio macrumors regular

That's the version that's shown on my 2g.

If you look at the web page, it associates Genius with the iPhone 2.1 Software Update for iPod touch. I read this to mean that I needed to purchase the iphone update to get Genuis.

The support site states that before you can use Genius on your device, it has to be enabled in iTunes 8. Instruction for enabling are on

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2895

Also, here's a thread that provides a solution to the error message you are getting.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1702714

8. PeteB thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeteB

I followed this and then enables Genius and re-synced. This cleared the problem, and now I have Genius working correct. I also don't have the sync errors.

Phew....

9. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

The same thing happened with the demo units at the Apple Store... Its in the video review I done ("New stuff" link in my sig).

Will probably be fixed in the next version so you dont have to mess with stuff.

10. Ronnie07 macrumors newbie

I found that I had to turn Genius off then on again (as you suggested), but then I had to create a Genius Playlist on iTunes and copy it to my iTouch then Sync before the Genius functions would appear.
    Working perfectly now :)

11. g2tegg macrumors member

^ This is what worked for me!! Finally!! I just transferred all of my music and was worried I was going to have to do this again.. Its working great now!:D

12. PJM macrumors newbie

I have this problem too. How did you turn off genius? By unchecking the checkbox in the prefeences->general screen?

13. PeteB thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeteB

No. In iTunes on your computer. I think it's in the Advanced tab on the menu bar. Hunt around, you'll find it.

14. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

One way to do it is to go to the menu bar and click: Store>Turn off Genius, this same tab will show Turn on Genius if it is already off.

15. crybabybob macrumors newbie

I was having the same problem with the genius playlists. I was able to fix it by simply making a playlist in itunes and then adding it to my iPod touch. I did NOT have to turn genius off and on. so if anyone's still having trouble, you could try that

16. marcosxfx macrumors newbie

It's even easier than that. On the sidebar of iTunes you have iTunes DJ and below says Genius. Click Genius and from that point onwards it's pretty straightforward. (By that I mean "Giant button saying TURN GENIUS ON).
    Any idea which bug found the dev-team on Youtube? I realized some videos do not load while others do. But i can't tell if it is that given it may be due to a slow connection.