Genius problems on new 3.1 iPhone 3gs-"unknown" on mixes, never finds songs

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tomjonesrocks, Oct 29, 2009.

1. tomjonesrocks macrumors newbie

I just got a new 32GB 3GS and am having frustrating issues with Genius.

If I try to pick any songs in my library to create a Genius playlist from, it never finds anything, no matter how popular the song is I pick.

Worse, if I play any of the default Genius Mixes, I get "unknown/unknown/unknown" in the play area and either it stops or takes me back to the home screen.

Any idea what's going on? I stopped by the Apple store but they didn't have an appointment for hours and I couldn't wait. One of the guys at the store suggested a full Software Restore. Again, this phone is like 3 days old. A full software restore already?

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions that might help please let me know. Otherwise I guess I'll go the full software restore and actually make an appointment (I didn't know you were supposed to do that) at the Apple Store.

2. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

3. tomjonesrocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Right at 4,000.

I was playing around with this last night and I got more of my genius lists working by spending some time clicking through all the mixes (as well as clicking "Genius" on a bunch of songs in my catalog on my Sync PC) then re-syncing. I guess Genius doesn't go outbound on your phone to get these results, it has to get them beforehand on the sync PC?

That's my guess anyway from what I'm seeing...