Genius Problems? Try these solutions:

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pismodude2, Sep 14, 2008.

1. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Ok, just to be clear, this is NOT another thread to complain about Genius (I think it's genius). No, I'm hoping this can be a place for all of us to post things we can do to to help it perform better, both locally and externally (Steve said it learns stuff that makes it better, remember?).

So, I'll start:

1. Go to Store in the the menu bar, and click "update Genius"

2. Make sure you have the correct artist, album, and song name for each of your songs.

3. Repeat steps one and two when you add a new song, and make sure you add as many songs as you can. Even ones you don't absolutely love can help it to perform better if nothing else.

2. M. Poirot macrumors member

Agreed.

Genius learns from our choices of tracks in playlists we make up, our ratings and our playcounts.
    This info is uploaded to the Genius servers periodically unless you 'force' it as excellently described above.
    As Steve said in his keynote 'once a week' the updated Genius info will be delivered to our iTunes program. As genius has just started, it won't be able to work with all our tracks in our library.
    For me it is having great problems with any classical/soundtracks I have which is most of my library. Of the tracks it can work with, I have to say that it's mixes are fantastic and make the genius function well worth persevering with.