Genius Replaces iPhone With Half-Activated Water Sensor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WeegieMac, Dec 17, 2009.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Hi everyone,

Well, I took my replacement iPhone back yesterday because of the light leakage issue, I know I said I cancelled my Genius appointment but after watching a podcast in bed on Tuesday night it annoyed me so I went in on Wednesday morning and they replaced it no problems.

However, while I was waiting at the Genius Bar, the girl who was attending to the gentleman before me was being told that his Water Sensors had been tripped, telling him that "half of the sensor in the headphone socket is pink", which means it's been "subject to liquid at some point".

I braced myself for the tirade about to come from the customer, until the Genius promptly followed up with ...

"However, this can come from condensation or from even the tip of the headphone jack on your headphones being wet, so what I'll do is go through the back and open your iPhone up. If the sensors inside aren't tripped, then you're ok for a replacement".

Given the horror stories on here about how one dot of pink on the Water Sensors have led to people being turned away with voided warranties, I thought I'd let you guys know if no-one has already mentioned it elsewhere (I couldn't see anything).

Many have called for common sense when it comes to the Water Sensors, and it looks like Apple have finally listened and began checking the internal sensors for signs of Liquid Damage, which after all is where any real spillages or soakings are going to affect.

2. star-fish macrumors regular

Interesting, but one genius bar guy doesn't necessarily mean it's a widespread policy now adopted by Apple.

Genius Bar staff are known for inconsistencies. If you check out any Apple problem related forum you'll find that some Genius Bars have replaced problem Macs for free outside warranty, but then others have refused to, even when it's the same problem. Which is why it's always worth going to another store if you get told 'no' the first time...

3. lollicup macrumors regular

agreed

OP can you modify your title, or Mods can you lock this thread

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What it tells you is you got a genius who is following apples own policies. Every one of them who stops at only the out side sensors is breaking apples policies. It tells them if the outside sensors are trip they can not declare it void unless the inside ones are as well.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I took the liberty of giving the thread a new title. It doesn't need for locking. In fact, in the hierarchy of threads that need locking, I'm sure this one is behind many, many others. ;)

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Cool info. Do you have a link to the Apple Policies so that people who run into the Genius that won't check inside will have something to show the Genius?

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I seriously doubt he can because if he had access he would be an employee and prohibited from actually posting here. If he is a previous employee then he can post here but it is doubtful he can post the policies. If he is neither and just saying whatever he is saying then welcome to the internet. ;)

It is nice to know someone follows policy if that is what the policy really is. The headphone jack water sensor is kind of a screwy place to be putting a water sensor for that very reason.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

+1000. I could give you a list if you need it. ;)

As far as the water sensors go and whether the Genius checks inside, that's totally up to the Genius. They can and do void the warranty when only the outside sensors are tripped. Whether they want to check the inside ones is totally up to them. You might be able to persuade them to give you a break for something that is broken that clearly has nothing to do with the water sensor that tripped, but again, it's up to the Genius.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

I know from his employment comments that he's had no Apple employment. I was hoping that since he made such a factual statement about Apple policy that he had some information he could share with the rest of the people that might wind up in this situation. :confused:

10. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

It might have just been the Genius that decided to replace it, but there are variations to exposure on the water sensor. For example, white meaning no exposure at all, pink meaning condensation or other environmental factors, whereas red is direct exposure. Perhaps there's a little leeway with the second case, but I'd say the third case will always leave you SOL.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

True, and I have the same thoughts as you do when people make mindless statements as fact. However, that is why I must point you to the last sentence and say again, welcome to the internet. :D

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

VB actually automatically generates the list, to save you the trouble. :D

With respect to Apple's policies... I personally think it's good if they try to improve consistency and avoid the situation where one person gets a "nice" genius and the other one gets a grouse. But on the whole, I think one would be hard pressed to find many companies that are more lenient in their interpretation of warranties than Apple has been with the iPhone. There have been many, many iPhones replaced when it was clearly the user's fault.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It was something some else posted a while ago that linked to apples policies on the water sensor. One line stated if the out side sensors were trip they were to open it up and only void the warranty if the inside ones were trip as well.

It seems most of them are either too lazy to do that as they know very few of the general population knows about the internal sensors.

14. trees macrumors newbie

The policy is usually if one of the outside sensors is tripped to open it up (i posted about this before) It is Apple policy now (and recently) but Apple policy always spreads slowly as some stores unfortunately don't always follow it but you can insist that they do so.

15. trees macrumors newbie

Ask for the lead genius or a manager, if you have applecare call them and get a case number first for a problem with your phone and if all else fails you ask for their cards and how to contact the district manager. The biggest thing is to be polite, it makes a big difference.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Anyone catch this? RP are you posting double or do you have a shadow?

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I caught it and did not know how to respond. I though it was pretty bad to copy exactly what I wrote. Even double because it is not exactly the most well written sentence he copied.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I believe he is a spammer, who doesn't speak English maybe??

19. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Change the title or demand it's locked? Who are you exactly? There's sone right pompous nonces on this forum.

I apologise if the title was misleading, and appreciate the Mod changing it, but this reply is as arrogant as it is ridiculous.

I simply thought the info may be useful or appreciated. If not, no problem.